Monday, May 14, 2012
The Boston Globe looks at what is next for the land across from Gillette Stadium now that the casino is out of the picture.
Monday, May 14, 2012
With the casino out of the picture, the question now remains what will the Kraft Group do with the 200-acre parcel across from Gillette Stadium, according to a report in the Boston Globe. The land has been looked at as a biotechnology park or a place for companies to locate their headquarters, but economic conditions made that unlikely. Foxborough selectmen James DeVellas, the new board chairman, said they were willing to work with the Kraft Group. “We do want to work with them as much as we can,” DeVellis said in the Boston Globe article. “But it has been a difficult year. And this will bring a quiet and calm back.” Both Bob Kraft and Steve Wynn ended their plans for a casino after seeing the results from last week's election where two …
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Tuesday, New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft and casino developer Steve Wynn decided to abandon plans to build a casino on Route 1 in Foxborough.
Check out all the media coverage from Steve Wynn's and Bob Kraft's announcement that they won't be pursuing a plan to build a casino on Route 1. The announcement was made Tuesday after Monday's Foxborough town election. NECN: “Steve Wynn, Bob Kraft dropping Foxboro, Mass. casino plan” Boston Herald: “Wynn, Kraft suspend Foxboro casino plans” Boston Globe: “Kraft, Wynn suspend casino bid in Foxborough” CBS Boston: “Kraft, Wynn Suspend Foxboro Casino Plans” http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18192022/2012/05/08/kraft-bows-out-of-proposed-casino-project http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/31030088/detail.html
Foxborough selectmen praises Bob Kraft for his decision to end casino project.
If the previous night’s election represented the death of the casino project, then Tuesday evening’s meeting of the Foxborough Board of Selectmen represented the funeral. In the first selectmen meeting since the town election, the board of delectmen gave what may be their final thoughts on the issue of a casino. With four members of the board now against negotiating with the Kraft family and the Wynn Group over a potential casino, Bob Kraft and Steve Wynn both announced in statements Tuesday that they would end all plans to build a casino on Route 1. “I was surprised it was so swift,” new selectman Ginny Coppola said. “I would of expected it down the road, but I’m happy that its done now and people can get back to normal.” While Coppola …
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
The Kraft Group and Wynn Resorts have decided to end a plan to build a casino after Monday's election.
There will be no casino for Foxborough. After Monday's election, both the Kraft Group and the Wynn Group have decided not to pursue a casino for Route 1 in Foxborough. Here are the statements from both groups. released today. Statement from The Kraft Group: When the Commonwealth of Massachusetts passed gaming legislation, we brought forth an opportunity with the unquestioned premier developer and operator in the industry. We have the greatest respect for Steve Wynn, his team and his business model, and believe this unique opportunity was worthy of a chance to be heard. With Monday’s election, we believe the citizens of Foxborough have spoken. As we originally committed, we have heard them and respect their collective voice. With that …
Thursday, May 3, 2012
MyFoxBoston.com says Steve Wynn will be visiting in the next couple of weeks to show his support for the casino he plans to build on Route 1 in Foxborough.
Thursday, May 3, 2012
MyFoxBoston.com is reporting the Steve Wynn isn't going to abandon his plans to build a casino on Route 1 despite how Monday's selectmen election turns out. Selectmen chairman Larry Harrington and school committee member Martha Slatttery are the candidates who are for hearing the casino proposal before deciding, while selectmen Lorraine Brue and Ginny Coppola, a former state representative, are against it. FOX 25 is reporting a Wynn spokesperson said the election results wouldn't affect their plans to build the Route 1 casino. Spokeswoman Deanna Pettit said in a statement to FOX 25, "The efforts of Wynn Resorts to communicate the benefits of the resort development project began months ago and will continue past the Board of Selectman's …
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Voters should have a say on casino.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
To the editor There’s a really big hole in the reasoning of casino opponents. Wynn casino opposition says Foxboro doesn’t want the casino. If they are right, why are they opposed to letting voters have the final say at a binding town referendum? At this point, opponents of a binding vote surely cannot believe that a vote would further divide our community. (In light of recent headlines, the opposite seems true. After all, a binding vote will end the issue, once and for all.) Do opponents think open debate and a binding decision is more divisive than denying every voter’s right to have their say at the election? Are they simply afraid of losing? I keep hearing opponents say that the selectmen’s election is a vote on the casino. Perhaps …
Friday, April 13, 2012
Boston Mayor Tom Menino announced his gaming board yesterday to work on a deal to build a casino at Suffolk Downs.
The City of Boston is taking a different approach to the casino than Foxborough is, according to a report in the Boston Herald. Boston mayor Thomas Menino has put together a gaming board to get the best deal possible for the city at Suffolk Downs with Caesar's Entertainment. Foxborough isn't negotiating with The Wynn Group, who wants to build a site across from Gillette Stadium on land owned by Bob Kraft. Selectmen sent a letter to Governor Deval Patrick asking not to be considered as a host community. “While we’re not the first city to have a destination resort casino, I am committed to doing it better — the Boston way,” Menino said yesterday at City Hall as he introduced the five-member "host advisory" committee, which will be chaired …
Monday, April 9, 2012
In a full page ad in the Foxboro Reporter, casino developer Steve Wynn asks residents to negotiate a Host Community Agreement.
Steve Wynn says he wants the Foxborough selectmen to negotiate a Host Community Agreement and then let the voters decide what avenue to take, according a full page ad in this week's Foxboro Reporter on page 5. Wynn tells the town's residents, "you have the right to choose" in the ad. He also says he wants to answer questions that, according to Wynn, are frequently asked about the proposed resort-casino. The No to Foxboro Casino group has sent the state a letter asking not to be considered a host community and asking them to look elsewhere for the site. In the his ad, Wynn makes the following points: 1. Voters must be given specific details regarding traffic, police, fire and public unity improvements and a community impact fee. 2. Wynn …
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
A traffic study commissioned by the Wynn Group, says the casino complex on Route 1 would draw 13,000 to 15,000 vehicles per day. The study was done by Vanasse and Associates.
Monday, March 19, 2012
Sharon resident joins fight against casino on Route 1.
Matthew Baldassari sees a casino on Route 1 in Foxborough as drawing bad things to Sharon, where he has resided since the mid-1980s. "You're going to see traffic and you're going to see crime go up" in Sharon, Baldassari said. Although Wynn Resorts' proposed casino site is in Foxborough, residents of neighboring communities are joining the fight against it, says Chris Lowey, No Foxboro Casino's volunteer coordinator. Foxborough residents are driving this volunteer effort. "This is a regional issue. It will affect the whole area," Lowey says. In Sharon, Baldassari said he has signed No Foxboro Casino's online petition asking businessman Robert Kraft to withdraw his proposal to lease land on Route 1 in Foxborough to Wynn Resorts Co-Founder, …