Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Kraft Group representatives told town officials Tuesday the company has "no desire, no intentions and no plans" to bring a gaming development to Foxborough and is currently exploring other options for the once proposed casino parcel.
For more town news and instant updates on stories like this (and more!), follow Foxborough Patch on Facebook and Twitter, or sign-up for our e-mail newsletter. For those in Foxborough still concerned the Kraft Group has not scrapped gaming development plans for a Route 1 casino, the company’s vice president of business development and external affairs has a message for you. “We have no desire, no intentions, no plans to bring gaming development to Foxborough,” said Dan Murphy, vice president of Kraft Group’s Business Development and External Affairs. “We have moved on and we are exploring options right now for that parcel.” The question regarding the potential for a casino proposal resurfacing in future Kraft plans was posed by Foxborough …
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Foxborough Board of Selectmen chair James DeVellis shared his findings from a recent meeting with the Kraft Group to board members Tuesday.
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Foxborough Board of Selectmen chair James DeVellis dispelled any rumors that a casino in Foxborough will remain an issue until the state’s gambling licenses are issued. “I was told specifically [by the Kraft Group] they are not pursuing a casino in Foxborough despite the recent newspaper articles,” DeVellis told the board at Tuesday’s meeting. In the Jan. 10 Foxboro Reporter article, “Casino still on the radar in 2013,” two selectmen – Mark Sullivan and Virginia “Ginny” Coppola – each expressed personal concerns that last year’s casino issue hasn’t "gone away.” The Kraft Group and developer Steve Wynn suspended efforts to bring forth a casino proposal to Foxborough after Coppola and selectman …
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Your team of editors weighs in on the top local news events from the past year.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Editor's Note: The following is part of a special "end-of-the-year" series in which local editors from your nearby Patch towns highlight their favorites in various topics. Tamara Starr - Editor, Dedham Patch I think the brush fire in Dedham was the top story of 2012 in the Dedham area. There were reports of 20 acres of burning and the smoke can be seen as far north as Lynnfield. Jeff Sullivan - Editor, Mansfield Patch Unfortunately, the biggest story in Mansfield this year was the death of two individuals during a concert at the Comcast Center. We saw the damage that drugs can do, and the impact it can have on a community, even if those involved were not from Mansfield. Dan Libon - Editor, Wrentham Patch I think the Foxborough casino …
Monday, July 16, 2012
Casino will likely be built in Taunton. How do you think that will affect Foxborough?
Monday, July 16, 2012
Gov. Deval Patrick inked an official deal with the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe for a casino in Southeastern Massachusetts late last week, marking the most significant development so far in the highly competitive Bay State casino sweepstakes, according to the Boston Herald. The Wampanoag tribe wants to build a casino in Taunton, where voters approved a non-binding ballot referendum supporting the concept at the polls last month. To read the full story in the Herald, click here. “This is a good deal for everyone,” said Patrick in a press release last week. “This Compact balances the interests of the Commonwealth with the inherent rights of the people of the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe. [This Compact] will allow the Mashpee Wampanoag to open a unique…
Friday, July 13, 2012
Michael Viscardi, 40, of 1 Spruce St. Foxborough, pleaded guilty Thursday at Wrentham District Court to threatening to commit a crime for an incident involving Foxborough selectman Mark Sullivan in April.
A Foxborough man pleaded guilty Thursday at Wrentham District Court to threatening a Foxborough selectman in April after the board voted against a proposal by Wynn Resorts for a casino and hotel on Route 1, according to Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey. “Michael Viscardi pled guilty Thursday to the charge against him, threatening to commit a crime, in the Wrentham District Court,” said Morrissey in a press release issued Friday. Viscardi, 40, a local construction worker of 1 Spruce St. Foxborough, pleaded guilty to threatening to commit a crime, according to Morrissey. On April 15, Viscardi had confronted Foxborough selectman Mark Sullivan in an angry manner and stated, “If you don’t change your (expletive) vote … you’re a dead …
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Tuesday, New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft and casino developer Steve Wynn decided to abandon plans to build a casino on Route 1 in Foxborough.
Check out all the media coverage from Steve Wynn's and Bob Kraft's announcement that they won't be pursuing a plan to build a casino on Route 1. The announcement was made Tuesday after Monday's Foxborough town election. NECN: “Steve Wynn, Bob Kraft dropping Foxboro, Mass. casino plan” Boston Herald: “Wynn, Kraft suspend Foxboro casino plans” Boston Globe: “Kraft, Wynn suspend casino bid in Foxborough” CBS Boston: “Kraft, Wynn Suspend Foxboro Casino Plans” http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18192022/2012/05/08/kraft-bows-out-of-proposed-casino-project http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/31030088/detail.html
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
The Kraft Group and Wynn Resorts have decided to end a plan to build a casino after Monday's election.
There will be no casino for Foxborough. After Monday's election, both the Kraft Group and the Wynn Group have decided not to pursue a casino for Route 1 in Foxborough. Here are the statements from both groups. released today. Statement from The Kraft Group: When the Commonwealth of Massachusetts passed gaming legislation, we brought forth an opportunity with the unquestioned premier developer and operator in the industry. We have the greatest respect for Steve Wynn, his team and his business model, and believe this unique opportunity was worthy of a chance to be heard. With Monday’s election, we believe the citizens of Foxborough have spoken. As we originally committed, we have heard them and respect their collective voice. With that …
Monday, May 7, 2012
At approximately noon, 2,303 Foxborough residents took part in voting at the Ahern Middle School.
As expected, voter turnout for today’s Foxborough town elections has been high. At approximately noon, 2,303 Foxborough residents took part in voting at the Ahern Middle School. The number exceeds last year total turnout of 1,876 voters and is likely to past the 2010 turnout of 2,876 voters. Precinct 3 had the highest turnout at midday with 555 voters. Precinct 2 followed with 536 voters. Precinct 4 and 5 were next with 479 and 419 voters each. Precinct 1 had the lowest turnout with 314 voters. As is tradition, supporters and candidates held signs outside. While previous years saw the supporters contained to an area near the parking lots. Supporters were camped out on Mechanic Street and on the sidewalks outside the school. Charles …
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
The casiKNOW is now running on Foxboro Cable Access Television.
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
(A press release from casiKNOW.) A new bi-weekly television series, casiKNOW, debuted its first episode on Foxboro Cable Access Television (FCATV) on Wednesday, March 21. The show is hosted by local Foxboro resident Traci Longa and features a talk show format with different guests appearing each week. Inspired by her experiences moderating the Foxboro Casino discussion group on Facebook, Longa will broadcast the wealth of casino-related information that has been shared online to Foxboro residents who do not have access to, or use, Facebook. Longa presented her idea to FCATV, who then graciously provided CasiKNOW volunteers with access to their studios and equipment, as well as training on the equipment; their own set of volunteer crew…
Friday, April 13, 2012
Boston Mayor Tom Menino announced his gaming board yesterday to work on a deal to build a casino at Suffolk Downs.
The City of Boston is taking a different approach to the casino than Foxborough is, according to a report in the Boston Herald. Boston mayor Thomas Menino has put together a gaming board to get the best deal possible for the city at Suffolk Downs with Caesar's Entertainment. Foxborough isn't negotiating with The Wynn Group, who wants to build a site across from Gillette Stadium on land owned by Bob Kraft. Selectmen sent a letter to Governor Deval Patrick asking not to be considered as a host community. “While we’re not the first city to have a destination resort casino, I am committed to doing it better — the Boston way,” Menino said yesterday at City Hall as he introduced the five-member "host advisory" committee, which will be chaired …