Super Saturday returns to Foxborough on Dec. 1 when Gillette Stadium hosts six of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) Super Bowls for the sixth consecutive high school football season.
Twelve teams will compete for their division’s Super Bowl title on New England’s most famous football field. Three Eastern Mass. divisions, one Central Mass. division and one Western Mass. division will crown their champions at Gillette Stadium. They will be joined by thousands of cheering fans, cheerleaders, school bands and special guests.
The Kraft family has donated use of Gillette Stadium for the Super Bowls for the last six years and will offer participants and their fans an NFL-caliber game presentation, with music and replays on the stadium’s high-definition video boards. Kraft Sports Productions will produce a live television broadcast of all six games.
Admission to the Gillette Stadium/MIAA Tournament experience is $15 for adults and $12 for students. The fee includes parking and admission to all six games.
After a spirited debate at last week's Board of Selectmen meeting, selectmen voted 3-2 to approve the MIAA’s request to waive the town’s ticket user fee for the Dec. 1 event at Gillette Stadium. Selectmen have now approved the MIAA's waiver request every year the high school Super Bowls have been played at Gillette Stadium. Selectmen Virginia Coppola and Lorraine Brue opposed the MIAA’s request because they said the money being waived belongs to the town’s taxpayers. It was estimated at last week's meeting that the event generates approximately $50,000 in user ticket fees. The user fee gives the town $2.55 per ticket sold at Gillette Stadium.
However, proponents of the waiver request said the event is a special day for those involved and still generates revenue through local businesses at Patriot Place.
"It's about the kids," said Board of Selectmen vice chair Mark Sullivan.
Selectmen Lynda Walsh added: "I’ve voted for this every year that it comes before us. It doesn’t really cost the town anything. The folks that do come go to our local businesses so it helps the economy in Foxborough. Being non-profit [the MIAA], I think we should support it."
Gillette Stadium spokesman Jeff Cournoyer says being part of a memorable day for 12 high school football communities is a special moment for everyone involved.
“This is one of our favorite events and the Kraft family is happy to donate the use of the stadium for it," Cournoyer said. "We really try to make it a special day for the student athletes, their families and the communities they represent, who are the beneficiaries. We’re glad that the town recognizes that and continues to be supportive of holding the event in Foxborough.”
Below is all the information you need for the Dec. 1 event at Gillette Stadium.
Game times for games two through six are approximate, starting 15 minutes after conclusion of the previous game
Game No. 1 Eastern Mass Div. IVA 9:00 a.m.
Game No. 2 Central Mass Div. II 11:00 a.m.
Game No. 3 Eastern Mass Div. IA 1:30 p.m.
Game No. 4 Eastern Mass Div. IIA 3:30 p.m.
Game No. 5 Western Mass Div. II 6:00 p.m.
Game No. 6 Eastern Mass Div. IIIA 8:00 p.m.
- Tickets and Gate Information: The Gillette Stadium/MIAA Tournament experience admission is $15 for adults and $12 for students. Tickets will be available at the Gillette Stadium Ticket Office, located outside the Patriot Place Gate, beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1. All fans will enter the stadium via the NRG Gate, located near The Hall at Patriot Place and CBS Scene.
- Parking: Parking is included as part of the Gillette Stadium/MIAA Tournament experience. Fans arriving via Route 495 and Route 1 North should enter the stadium parking lots via the P7 or P8 entrances. Fans arriving via Route 95 and Route 1 South should enter the stadium parking lots via the P1 entrance. No tailgating will be allowed in the parking lots. Fan buses are encouraged to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to each game’s approximate start time.
- Concessions and Dining: Concessions will be available throughout the day at Gillette Stadium. In addition, Patriot Place features 17 casual to high-end restaurants for pregame meals or postgame celebrations. Visit www.patriot-place.com for restaurant info.
- Blood Drive at Gillette Stadium: Super Bowl attendees can also participate in the Bob’s Discount Furniture Blood Drive in Gillette Stadium’s Putnam Club West. Fans who give blood during Super Saturday get credit for their school towards the Bob's Discount Furniture $100,000 High School Heroes Scholarship Program. The event will also feature furniture and ticket giveaways, family fun and more.
- The Hall at Patriot Place presented by Raytheon: The award-winning Hall at Patriot Place will offer $3 off adult admission on Saturday with a ticket to the High School Super Bowls (regular admission to The Hall is $10 for adults, $7 for seniors and active military, $5 for children 5-12 and children 4 and younger are free). The Hall’s New England Football exhibit displays jerseys from all of the 2011 MIAA Super Bowl champions, and following the games will begin displaying jerseys from all of the 2012 champions.
- BROADCAST INFORMATION: Kraft Sports Productions will produce the television broadcast, which will air on Comcast SportsNet (Games 1-3) and WSBK TV 38 (Games 3-6). The games will also be simulcast on 98.5 The Sports Hub. Gary Tanguay will handle play-by-play with Andy Gresh as the color analyst for the games on Comcast SportsNet. For the games on WSBK, Dan Roche will call the plays with Jermaine Wiggins providing color.
Game Game Time TV Coverage Radio Coverage
Eastern Mass Div. IVA 9:00 a.m. Comcast SportsNet 98.5 The Sports Hub
Central Mass Div. II 11:00 a.m.* Comcast SportsNet 98.5 The Sports Hub
Eastern Mass Div. IA 1:30 p.m.* Comcast SportsNet 98.5 The Sports Hub
Eastern Mass Div. IIA 3:30 p.m.* WSBK TV 38 98.5 The Sports Hub
Western Mass Div. II 6:00 p.m.* WSBK TV 38 98.5 The Sports Hub
Eastern Mass Div. IIIA 8:00 p.m.* WSBK TV 38 98.5 The Sports Hub
* Game times approximate (starting 15 minutes after conclusion of previous game)