With the calendar turning to August Wednesday there's less than five weeks of summer before Foxborough students, teachers and faculty begin another school year.
The first day of school for students in Foxborough is Tuesday, Sept. 4, after Labor Day. Teachers and administration return on Aug. 28.
Foxborough Schools Superintendent Debra Spinelli says she is looking forward to her second year on the job and even more so if a tropical storm doesn't hit the area later this month.
"I’m looking forward to opening with power,” Spinelli said with a laugh. “Last year we opened without power … that wasn’t the best thing for a new superintendent to open without power but we did. … We went to Ahern, we had generators and it was like a bonding experience.”
There have also been some administrative changes around the district to note, according to Spinelli, including two new principals.
"We have two new principals, Diana Myers-Pachla at the high school [and Michael Stanton at Igo School]," Spinelli said.
Myers-Pachla has experience in the Foxborough School District, primarily at the high school, serving as a social studies teacher, a department head and assistant principal. She left the district in 2000 and but was "lured back," according to Spinelli.
Notable Administrative changes are:
- Foxborough High school principal: Diana Myers-Pachla.
- Igo Elementary School principal: Michael Stanton.
- Foxborough School District Art Department Head: Kelly Arcacha.
- Foxborough School District Wellness Department Head: Janelle Erskine.
- Foxborough High School Athletic Director: Caitlin Annicelli Brown.
- Food Services Director: Allison Johnson.
Despite all the administrative changes, Spinelli said the transition has been smooth.
"One of the things that I’m looking forward to in the transition is that Diana Myers-Pachla and Michael Stanton, the new principal at the Igo School, are seasoned principals," Spinelli said. "I would worry a lot more if we hired a new principal who had never been a principal before. For me, it was a real plus to have two talented and experienced people."
Other notable dates for the upcoming school year:
- Nov. 21-23: Thanksgiving Break
- December 24 to Jan. 1, 2013: Winter Break
- Feb. 19-23, 2013: February Vacation
- April 15-19, 2013: April Vacation
- Friday, May 31: Seniors' last day of classes
- Sunday, June 9, 2013: Foxborough High School graduation
- June 18-19, 2013: Last day for students and staff
- June 19-25, 2013: Cancellation days.
See the PDF file in the photo gallery above to view Foxborough Public School's calendar for the 2012-13 school year.