When Can I File My 2012 Tax Return?

The IRS has announced a delayed start to the 2012 tax filing season. Here's the date of when you can file, plus some help in Dearborn to get your taxes done.

You'll have to wait if you are used to filing your annual tax return at the earliest possible date. The Internal Revenue Service has revised its opening date for tax season—pushing it eight days to Jan. 30.

The tax filing deadline is Monday, April 15.

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 30. Most taxpayers should be able to file on that date, though some revised forms may not be immediately available.

You can blame the delay on the federal "fiscal cliff" crisis and the new tax bill Congress passed just after Dec. 31. You can find more information in this Forbes article.

Electronic filing season was originally set to start on Jan. 22 this year.

As a result of the delay, nobody will get a refund in January, an H&R Block official told Financial Advisor.

The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit, writes Patch IRS Blogger David Stewart.

There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.

The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on IRS.gov.

Need help with your taxes, or forms? Here are some options in Dearborn:

  • Forms will be available through the Dearborn Public Library, but it's not clear when residents will be able to pick them up, due to IRS delays. Residents can call the Henry Ford Centennial Library Reference Desk at 313-943-2330 to inquire as to form availability before visiting.
  • Low- to moderate-income residents, with an emphasis on seniors, can obtain tax assistance through the City of Dearborn's Senior Services Department starting Feb. 5. Click here for more information.
  • Looking for a professional tax preparer? Dearborn has dozens! Check out local listings in our Dearborn Patch Directory, and be sure to post a review for your preparer or financial advisor to help keep other residents informed.
Hassan Jaber January 25, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Thank you for this helpful article! Once again Patch covers such important topics in a thorough manner! If anyone needs free tax help from ACCESS please feel free to copy and past our link in your browser! www.accesscommunity.org/site/DocServer/ACCESS_Flyer_for_Tax_Preparation-2013.pdf?docID=6001 - 5k
City of Dearborn January 25, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Thanks for the additional information, Hassan. I didn't realize that ACCESS offered tax preparation assistance. Good information to know!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »