Wendy’s Super Easy Super Bowl Guacamole
- 1 bag of ripe avocados (4) from Trader Joe’s
- 1 container of fresh salsa from Trader Joe’s (spiciness dependent on your taste)
- 1 – 3 large cloves or garlic pressed or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bag of tortilla chips (I like multigrain)
- Peel and pit avocados.
- Mash the avocados in a non-metal bowl (if one or more of them seems a wee bit under ripe, chop that/those instead of mashing).
- Drain the fresh salsa well (I usually use the lid to squish it down and just pour the liquid into the sink) and add it to the mashed avocados.
- Add the press or chopped garlic and the cumin.
- Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
(adapted from Rachael Ray)- serves 8
- 2 pounds ground white meat chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s or Cholula)
- 3 scallions, green and white parts thinly sliced
- Store-bought, good quality bleu cheese dressing for dipping
- 1 bag pre-cut celery sticks
- 1 bag pre-cut carrot sticks
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken with the onion, garlic and cilantro or parsley, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Shape the chicken mixture into balls- should have 32 meatballs in total.
- Arrange the meatballs on a wire rack on a foil-covered sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until the meatballs are cooked through and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, melt the butter in a large, flat-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- In the pan, toss the baked meatballs in the hot sauce to coat (you may do this in batches) and transfer to a serving platter.
- Place the bleu cheese dressing in a small serving bowl and garnish with chopped scallions.
- Serve the meatballs with toothpicks (I recommend red, white and blue for Pats’ colors) alongside the bleu cheese dressing, celery and carrot sticks.
Jalapeño Popper Cups
(Melanie Graham's adaptation of this recipe found on Allrecipes.com)
- 1 pkg phyllo tart shells (12-14/package)
- 4 oz. cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of shredded Mexican-blend cheese. (You can really use any shredded cheese, I've used Mozzarella before and it's fantastic)
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I use Frank's)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and arrange the phyllo dough cups on a baking sheet
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, shredded cheese, jalapeno peppers and hot sauce. Once it's blended, spoon the mixture into the individual tart cups.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.
TELL US: What are you serving up for the Super Bowl? Tell us in the comments section below!