Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect Afternoon Sun with a High of 68 in Foxborough Friday
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 68. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon. Friday night: Patchy fog after 3 a.m. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 48. Calm wind.
2. You’re Invited to Foxboro YMCA’s Spooky Games
The Hockomock Area YMCA invites Foxborough residents to enjoy a spooktacular evening on Friday, Oct. 26 to celebrate Halloween with the return of the Spooky Games.
The event, which will be held in Foxborough at the Hocomock Area YMCA's Invensys Foxboro branch, 67 Mechanic St., from 6 to 8 p.m. will offer an obstacle course or jumpy house, face painting, tattoos, crafts, games, and healthy snacks.
The night will conclude with a costume parade so participants are encouraged to dress in costume.
This event is free and is open to YMCA members and non-members alike. The Foxborough branch will also be offering a family dinner option prior to the Spooky Games event for $4 per person starting at 5:30 p.m.
3. MIAA Football Playoff Vote to Come Wednesday in Marlboro
373 MIAA schools will vote on the statewide football playoff proposal, which would eliminate the number of Super Bowls played but increase the amount of postseason participation in the fall sport with the ultimate goal of crowing six true state champions.
The two-year pilot program will be voted on Friday at Assabet Regional in Marlboro, according to the Boston Globe. To view the playoff proposal, click here.
4. Warriors Game Day:
The following Foxborough High School teams will be in action Friday:
- Varsity football hosts Canton at Ahern Field at 7 p.m.
- Boys’ soccer hosts Sharon for a 3:45 p.m. match
- Girls’ soccer travels to Sharon for a 3:45 p.m. match
For results and expanded schedules, check out Patch's Warriors Scoreboard here.
5. Patriot Place Events:
- Bass Pro Shops - It's the Great Pumpkin: Join Bass Pro Shops for a safe and fun Halloween celebration. Enjoy free Trick or Treating, a free photo in the Peanuts Pumpkin Patch, Halloween crafts, prizes and more.
- 10 a.m. - Fall Fun - Stroll2BFit: Free Family fitness program brought to you by Brigham and Women’s / Mass General Healthcare Center.
- 3 to 8 p.m. - Run and the Whole World Runs with You at Life is Good: Boston-based Life is Good – which has a location at Patriot Place - will help National Geographic Kids magazine set two Guinness World Records® titles: Most people to run 100 meters in 24 hours and the longest chain of shoes, which will be recycled into athletic surfaces. To break the record, more than 5,000 people worldwide need to run 100 meters between noon Friday, Oct. 26 and noon Saturday, Oct. 27, and more than 25,000 shoes will need to be collected and sent to National Geographic Society headquarters by Nov. 9. Visit kids.nationalgeographic.com/run-for-the-planet/ for official rules, additional locations, and other information. The initiative—called Run for the Planet—inspires kids and families to do something good for their health and the environment. Run for the Planet supports First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move campaign, which encourages people to get healthy and active. A group of 200 runners will participate in the challenge by running 100 meters outside of the Life is good story at Patriot Place.
- 5 to 7 p.m. - Halloween Party at Kidville: Enjoy fun crafts and games, Halloween music and dancing, pizza, treats, a magic show and more. Event is open to both members and non-members.
- 6 p.m. - 20,000 Leagues - Lights OUT: Are you brave enough to visit Captain Nemo’s abandoned submarine with nothing but a flashlight and your wits to guide you through its pitch black chambers. Stop by 5Wits to find out!
- 9 p.m. - Halloween Costume Party at CBS Scene Level One: Come to Level One dressed for Halloween. There will be costume prizes, $2.50 Bud Lights and DJ Plan B spinning music.
- 9:30 p.m. - Chad Burdick at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This Groton native has opened for big names such as Lee Ann Womack, Josh Gracin, Jason Aldean and has been a part of The Nashville Star Tour. Burdick is known nationwide and was recently voted Best New Country Star.
- 9:30 p.m. - Halloween Costume Party at I Love This Bar and Grill: Enjoy live music by Chad Burdick and Toby Keith’s will be giving away a $513 cash prize for best costume. Prize will be awarded at midnight, must be present at midnight to be eligible to win.