On Sunday, the Patriots will host the Baltimore Ravens for a second straight season in the AFC Championship Game. That game kicks off at 6:30 p.m. at Gillette Stadium. It will be the fifth time the conference championship game will be played in Foxborough. The Patriots are 4-0 when hosting AFC title games.
The AFC’s opponent in Super Bowl XLVII will be known prior to kick-off at Gillette Stadium as the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons face-off in the NFC Championship Game at 3 p.m.
Click here for a complete look at the NFL playoff schedule.
A trip to the Super Bowl would be New England’s sixth appearance since 2001 and eighth in franchise history. The Pats are 3-4 all-time in Super Bowls but 3-2 in the Bill Belichick/Tom Brady era.
Standing in the Patriots’ way of a second straight Super Bowl appearance are the Ravens – a match-up that has often been decided by just one possession. New England and Baltimore most recently played back in September (Week 3) of the NFL season. The Ravens came back late in the game to edge the Patriots, 31-30 in Baltimore. Prior to that, The Patriots held on to beat the Ravens, 23-20 at Gillette Stadium in last January’s AFC Championship Game.
New England is 1-1 against the Ravens in the postseason. Baltimore defeated the Patriots, 33-14 in the 2009-10 AFC Wild Card game at Gillette Stadium on Jan. 10, 2010. However, the Patriots are 6-2 all-time vs. the Ravens.
PATRIOTS-RAVENS POSTSEASON SERIES (Tied 1-1)
- Jan. 10, 2010 – Ravens 33, Patriots 14 (@ Foxborough) AFC Wild Card Playoff
- Jan. 22, 2012 – Patriots 23, Ravens 20 (@ Foxborough) AFC Championship
Regular Season Series History:
- Oct. 6, 1996 – Patriots 46, Baltimore 38 (@ Baltimore)
- Jan. 2, 2000 – Patriots 20, Baltimore 3 (@ Foxborough)
- Nov. 28, 2004 – Patriots 24, Baltimore 3 (@ Foxborough)
- Dec. 3, 2007 – Patriots 27, Baltimore 24 (@ Baltimore)
- Oct. 4, 2009 – Patriots 27, Baltimore 21 (@ Foxborough)
- Oct. 17, 2010 – Patriots 23, Baltimore 20 OT (@ Foxborough)
- Sept. 23, 2012 – Baltimore 31, Patriots 30 (@Baltimore)
Sunday will be the third time since then that the Patriots have played in the championship game in consecutive seasons. It is the fourth time in franchise history that the team has earned the second seed. In three of those four seasons the Patriots advanced to the Super Bowl. Historically, that home-field advantage has helped propel the Patriots through the playoffs, as they have won an NFL-best 14 of the last 16 home playoff games.
Patriots AFC Championship Game Results (7-1)
Date Round Opponent W/L Score
- 01/12/86 AFC Championship at Miami W 31-14
- 01/12/97 AFC Championship Jacksonville W 20-6
- 01/27/02 AFC Championship at Pittsburgh W 24-17
- 01/18/04 AFC Championship Indianapolis W 24-14
- 01/23/05 AFC Championship at Pittsburgh W 41-27
- 01/21/07 AFC Championship at Indianapolis L 34-38
- 01/20/08 AFC Championship San Diego W 21-12
- 01/22/12 AFC Championship Baltimore W 23-20
If you plan to tune in locally to this weekend’s playoff action then stop by one of these places in Foxborough to watch the game(s):
- CBS Scene at Patriot Place: Join CBS Scene to catch all the NFL playoff action on one of the restaurant’s 145 high-definition displays.
- Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill Stop by Toby Keith's to watch the games on one of 50 HDTV monitors.
- Bar Louie at Patriot Place: Watch the games on HDTVs located around the bar.
- Waxy O’Connor’s: Catch all the action from Wild Card weekend on one of the many HDTVs located inside this authentic Irish establishment.
- Ninety-Nine Restaurant: Watch the games on HDTVs located around the bar.
Championship Sunday Games
- NFC Championship - San Francisco 49ers at Atlanta Falcons (3 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, on FOX)
- AFC Championship - Baltimore Ravens at New England Patriots (6:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, on CBS)
Know any other great spots to catch the game? Add them to the comments section below.
If you're planning on hosting a football party, we've also collected this list of places in Foxborough to help you get ready for the big game.
- Stop & Shop, 141 Main St.
- Trader Joe’s, 350 Patriot Place