Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Sunny but Cold Friday in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for sunny, with a high near 27. North wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Friday night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 18. Southwest wind 5 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
2. Where Can I File My 2012 Tax Return?
You'll have to wait a bit if you are used to filing your annual tax return at the earliest possible date. The Internal Revenue Service has revised its opening date for tax season -- pushing it eight days to January 30, 2013.
The tax filing deadline is Monday, April 15
The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on January 30, 2013. Most taxpayers should be able to file on that date though some revised forms may not be immediately available.
You can blame the delay on the federal "fiscal cliff" crisis and the new tax bill Congress passed just after Dec. 31. You can find more information in this Forbes article.
Electronic filing season was originally set to start on Jan. 22 this year.
As a result of the delay, nobody will get a refund in January, an H&R Block official told Financial Advisor.
The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit, writes Patch IRS Blogger David Stewart.
There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.
The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on IRS.gov.
3. Hockomock Area YMCA Invites You to Winter Wonderland
The Hockomock Area YMCA invites area residents to enjoy a Winter Wonderland evening event on Friday, Jan. 18 at Invensys Foxboro Branch from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The free community event offers interactive games and crafts for both members and non-members. There is a spaghetti and meatball dinner option for $5 per member and $8 per non-member. For more information, call (508) 772-1306 or visit www.hockymca.org.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- Lucky Lunch at CBS Scene - You could win playoff tickets: Join CBS Scene for lunch Monday thru Friday this week and enter to win a pair of tickets to Sunday’s AFC Championship game, $100 CBS Scene gift card and EXCLUSIVE game day reservations.
- Artist's Studio & Gallery features Medfield High School: The Artist's Studio & Gallery at Patriot Place hosts Medfield High School displaying pieces of student art along with other artists from around the area. Stop in and check out these great pieces.
- 7 p.m. - Merriam Vineyards Wine Dinner at Davio's: Join Davio's for the Merriam Vineyards Wine Dinner hosted by Peter Merriam on Friday. Click here for more information.
5. Foxborough High School Concert
Foxborough High School is hosting a Wooden Dinosaur concert in the FHS auditorium at 7 p.m.