Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Sunny but Cold Thursday in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for partly sunny, with a high near 30. Northwest wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Thursday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 21. Northwest wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.
2. Patriot’ Cornerback Dennard Found Guilty of Assaulting Police Officer, Resisting Arrest in Nebraska
One of the reasons cornerback Alfonzo Dennard fell to the New England Patriots in the seventh round of last April’s NFL Draft was because of pending legal issues with the state of Nebraska. Dennard was arrested and charged last April for allegedly assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest in Lincoln, Nebraska during an altercation with a fellow University of Nebraska student.
On Wednesday, a Nebraska jury convicted the New England Patriots defensive back of assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, according to multiple media reports.
Dennard now faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine for the assault charge, which is a felony, according to the Patriots Football Weekly blog. The resisting arrest charge is a misdemeanor but could result in an additional year of prison and $1,000 fine. Dennard will learn his fate on April 11, according to PFW, when he is sentenced by a judge.
To read the PFW’s blog in its entirety, click here.
3. Playing Fields Committee to Hear Update on Turf Field
Foxborough’s Playing Fields Committee to meet Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Recreation Office on South Street. The committee is expected to receive an update on the turf field project and hold a sports group discussion.
4. Patriot Place Events:
Here’s a look at today’s events at Patriot Place:
- Shop for your heart: Join Patriot Place Thursday for a celebration of February’s National Heart Month. Enjoy exclusive retail and restaurant offers and events including giveaways and more.
- Noon - Zumba: Zumba with Brigham and Women’s / Mass General Health Care Center. This is a Latin dance based class that lets you adapt the pace according to your fitness level.
- 7:30 -9:30 p.m. - Trivia at Red Robin: Come try your luck during trivia at Red Robin every Thursday.
5. Jeff Parker Foundation Announces 3rd Annual Golf Tournament
The Jeff Parker Charitable Foundation announced Wednesday the third annual Jeff Parker Charitable Fund Golf Tournament will be held Monday, July 1 at Brookmeadow Country Club in Canton. More information to be announced at a later date.