Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect Early Morning Showers Saturday, Otherwise a Sunny Weekend in Foxborough
Saturday’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10am, then a slight chance of showers between 10 and 11 a.m. Patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 71. Northwest wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Saturday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 47. Northwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 67. Northwest wind 6 to 9 mph. Sunday night: Clear, with a low around 42. West wind 3 to 6 mph.
2. Personal Best Karate Open House
Personal Best Karate at 36 Commercial St. will be holding an open house Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The public is welcomed to come to this free event and tour the studio, meet the instructors, try an intro class and enjoy the raffles, refreshments and games. The Demo Team will be performing at 12:30 p.m. Check out more info at www.pbopenhouse.com or www.personalbestkarate.com.
3. YMCA Wing Off Contest at Fusion 5 Sports Bar is Saturday
Chicken wings and live music for a great cause ... must be the YMCA's annual Wing Off.
It's that time of year again for the Hockomock Area YMCA's sixth annual Wing Off to benefit its Reach Out for Youth & Families Campaign.
The event is Saturday at Fusion 5 Sports Bar in Foxborough beginning at 6:30 p.m. Participants will sample wings and vote for your favorites.
Local restaurants will bring their best wings to this event and compete for the coveted crown of ‘Best Wings’ in the area. Two winners will be announced; one for best buffalo wing and one for most unique wing. Restaurants include: Chieftain Pub (Plainville), East Coast Grill (Cambridge), Fusion 5 (Foxborough), James’ Breakfast & More (Wrentham), Red Stone Grill (North Attleboro), Sodexo (Franklin), Twenty8 (Foxborough) and more.
In 2011, King Street Café of Franklin won for best buffalo wing. The winner of the 2011 most creative wing was Twenty8 at the Renaissance Hotel at Patriot Place, Foxborough with their cranberry & sweet chili wing. In 2010, Chieftain Pub won most unique wing with their toasted coconut wing. In 2010, LA Roberts of North Attleboro and The Boneyard Restaurant of Seekonk tied for best buffalo wing.
Many of these winners will return to defend their crowns.
All proceeds will benefit the Y’s Reach Out for Youth & Families Campaign. At the Y, strengthening community is the cause. Every day, the Y works side by side with its neighbors and the community to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. Reach Out for Youth & Families is the annual support campaign to provide a YMCA experience to more than 15,000 local children and families in need.
Those interested in attending can purchase tickets online at www.hockymca.org. Go to “Events” then “Wing Off” to buy your tickets. Tickets can also be purchased at any Hockomock Area YMCA branch or at the door on the night of the event. Tickets are $20 per person and include sampling of wings, which will take place from 7 to 9 p.m. This is a 21-plus event.
There will be a cash bar and additional food and drink are available for purchase.
The Hockomock Y is grateful to its event sponsors including Blue Hill Plumbing & Heating of North Attleboro (www.bluehillplumbinginc.com) and Bob Rogers Roofing of Holliston and Auburn. (www.bobrogersroofing.com).
- 5 p.m. (Saturday) - Troy Brown Patriots Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony: Troy Brown has been voted by fans as the 18th player and 19th member to enter the Patriots Hall of Fame. The induction ceremony will be held outside The Hall on Saturday.
- 8 p.m. (Saturday) - Not In Kansas at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: Labeled "New England's favorite country cover band" by WKLB 102.5, Not in Kansas (NIK) is a modern country cover band based in New England.
- 8 p.m. (Saturday) - Warrant with Firehouse at Showcase Live: WARRANT is an American rock band through and through. Formed in 1984, the Hollywood, CA based band rose through the ranks of the local and regional club scene to the level of chart topping success.
- 1 p.m. (Sunday) - New England Patriots vs. Arizona Cardinals: The Patriots (1-0) host the Arizona Cardinals at Gillette Stadium in the team’s home opener.
5. Jimmy Fund Campout at Normandy Farms Begins Tonight
From Friday, Sept. 14 through Sunday, Sept. 16, over 100 campers will unite to support the inaugural Jimmy Fund Campout at Normandy Farms Campground at 72 West St., Foxborough. The campout will give participants the opportunity to enjoy camping and the great outdoors while supporting adult and pediatric cancer care and research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
The fun-filled event will include exclusive activities throughout the weekend, including a geocaching GPS scavenger hunt challenge by Geoteaming™ (a schedule is included below). All activity equipment and instruction is provided and no experience is necessary.
The Jimmy Fund Campout will also be hosted at two other New England campgrounds this weekend: Bayley’s Camping Resort in Scarborough, Maine and Danforth Bay Camping Resort in Freedom, N.H.
The Jimmy Fund Campout will be held rain or shine.
Saturday, Sept. 15:
- Geocaching with Geoteaming, 9 a.m. to noon, starting at Recreation Lodge
- Friendly all-ages strategic GPS scavenger hunt competition between other Jimmy Fund Campout campers.
- Cookout lunch, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., Main Hall, Recreation Lodge
- Disk golf with Bass Pro Shops, 3 to 5 p.m., Disk Golf Field
- Live entertainment with MoJo Motown Classics, 7:30 to 10 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 16:
Thank you celebration pancake breakfast, 8 to 10:30 a.m., Main Hall, Recreation Lodge