Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Sunny Weekend in Foxborough
Saturday’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for sunny, with a high near 47. North wind 5 to 7 mph. Saturday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 28. Light north wind. Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 47. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph. Sunday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Light north wind.
2. Operation Sandy from Mass. will be Collecting Donations for Sandy Victims on Foxborough Common
Operation Sandy from Mass., a local group collecting donations for victims of Superstorm Sandy in New York and New Jersey, will have a truck on Foxborough Common collecting donations for those affected by Hurricane Sandy on Saturday, Nov. 17 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The truck will leave Foxborough for New York and New Jersey at 1:30 p.m.
The group is looking to collect the following items:
- Charcoal Grills and Charcoal
- Diapers/Pull Ups
- Sleeping Bags
- Toys & Books for non-school-age kids
- Dog & Cat Food and Treats
- Hand/Foot Warmers
- Nonperishable foods
- Hat, Mittens & Warm Coats
- Heavy Gloves/Work Gloves
- Can Openers
- Baby Food & Baby Wipes
- Trash Bags & Boxes
- Candles & Matches
- Mops & Buckets, Scrubbers
- Cleaning supplies
Also being accepted for victims of Hurricane Sandy: gift cards to Home Depot, Lowes, Petsmart, Stop & Shop, Sunoco, Gulf, Hess, WalMart and CVS.
The local group is also collecting school supplies because many of the New York and New Jersey schools have been relocated to churches. The group is also looking for volunteers for the day of to help with the sorting and packing of the materials, please call Kris Long at (508) 212-7206 if you can help.
For more information about Operation Sandy for Mass., click here.
3. Weekend Christmas Fairs in Foxborough
St. Mary’s annual Christmas Fair will be held Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., featuring:
- THEME BASKETS
- SILENT AUCTION
- JEWELRY BOUTIQUE
- "JUST FOR KIDS” STORE & ACTIVITIES
- SWEET TREATS
- SHOPPING - WIDE VARIETY OF GIFTS
- HOLIDAY DECORATIONS
- HOMEMADE GIFTS AT GREAT PRICES
- CAFÉ OPEN FOR BREAKFAST & LUNCH
Union Church’s annual Christmas Fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday. Browse, shop and pick up some goodies. Fair features raffles, handmade items and Christmas decor.
4. Patriot Place Events:
The following events will be held at Patriot Place this weekend:
- (Saturday) - Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- 3 p.m. (Saturday) - UMass Football at Gillette Stadium: Watch UMass take on Buffalo at Gillette Stadium on Band Day. A firework display will take place after the game.
- 5 to 7 p.m. (Saturday) - "Fun" Raiser at Fanautical: Join Fanautical for a Fun-Raiser. 10 percent of all “SAILS” go to The Home for Little Wanderers.
- 8 p.m. (Saturday) - Jeff Pitchell with Texas Flood at Showcase Live: Jeff Pitchell is an internationally acclaimed dynamic singer, songwriter, guitarist, and actor. Jeff achieved national recognition when his last CD, Heavy Hitter (Pyramid Records/EMI) reached #7 on the Billboard Charts.
- 8 p.m. (Saturday) - Not in Kansas at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: In 2012, Not in Kansas was named Best Local Country Band and labeled “New England’s favorite country cover band.” Their style is all their own by offering country music with a rock edge.
- 9 p.m. (Saturday) - Eli Young Band at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: The Eli Young band formed from four musicians who met in college, and have grown larger than they could have ever imagined. They play a variety of songs to make sure there is something for everyone.
- (Sunday) - Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- 4:25 p.m. (Sunday) - New England Patriots vs. Indianapolis Colts: New England Patriots take on the Indianapolis Colts at Gillette Stadium
5. Personal Best Karate's Turkey Brigade
The Brigade, now in its 17th year, is Personal Best Karate’s community outreach program to help feed those in need for Thanksgiving. On Saturday, beginning at 1 p.m. at St. Mary’s School gymnasium in Mansfield, Personal Best Karate is aiming to package 3,000 baskets full of food for Thanksgiving dinner. Friends and students of all the Personal Best Karate schools (Norton, Foxborough, Easton, Norwood, Medfield) have already raised over $50,000 for the Brigade, along with corporate sponsors.