Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Mostly Sunny Thursday in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for mostly sunny, with a high near 61. Light and variable wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon. Thursday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
2. Foxborough Regional Charter School Looks to Compete on Season 4 of WGBH’s High School Quiz Show
Academic teams from 95 public high schools across Massachusetts, including Foxborough Regional Charter School, will gather at WGBH in Brighton on Nov. 4 for a chance to compete on season four of High School Quiz Show.
Hosted by Billy Costa, the Emmy Award-winning, fast-paced game show showcases teens from across the Commonwealth and celebrates academic achievement.
On “Super Sunday,” each academic team of four students will take an identical oral quiz of 100 questions. From the 95 schools, the top 16 teams will advance to appear on the televised show, a single-elimination, bracketed academic tournament that includes eight qualifying matches, quarterfinals, semifinals and a state championship match.
This year, the season will culminate with a Bay State vs. Granite State showdown, when WGBH’s High School Quiz Show state champion team meets New Hampshire Public Television’s Granite State Challenge “SuperChallenge” winner for the very first inter-state quiz show play-off.
“It was our hope to create a showcase for academic achievement that would eventually take hold in communities across the Commonwealth,” said Executive Producer Hillary Wells. “By all accounts, it looks like we’re well on our way with a record number of registered schools for this year’s Super Sunday, audience growth year after year, and increasing social media banter and buzz. The real credit, of course, goes to the coaches and to the participating students who continue to impress and amaze us with their enthusiasm, poise under pressure, and depth of knowledge.
All questions on High School Quiz Show are aligned with the Massachusetts high school curriculum standards in subjects including literature, history, science, and math, as well as current events and general knowledge.
The weekly series begins taping at WGBH in January in front of a live studio audience.
High School Quiz Show is endorsed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. The Princeton Review judges the televised competition and reviews the questions.
Major sponsorship for High School Quiz Show is provided by Safety Insurance and the Bank of America Charitable Foundation.
Additional funding is provided by Massachusetts Teachers Association, XFINITY from Comcast, Harvard Summer School Secondary School Program, Bentley University, Subaru of New England, and Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts.
3. Enjoy Loewen’s Ladies Night to Support the Foxboro Discretionary Fund
Thursday is Ladies Night at Loewen's. You are invited to sample Loewen’s new catering items and dinners for a great cause. Sample from so many options in Loewen’s buffet and taste for yourself how it can make your holiday gatherings easier and delicious.
Loewen’s will have wine recommendations from Route One Liquor Mart for each meal and a great door prize for one lucky attendee.
This event is complimentary but Loewen’s ask for a donation to the Foxboro Discretionary Fund to help aid their efforts to feed local families during the holidays.
Bring your friends and have a blast.
4. Warriors Game Day:
The following Foxborough High School teams will be in action Thursday:
- Field hockey travels to Sharon for a 3:45 p.m. game
For results and expanded schedules, check out Patch's Warriors Scoreboard here.
5. Patriot Place Events:
- Bass Pro Shops - It's the Great Pumpkin: Join Bass Pro Shops for a safe and fun Halloween celebration. Enjoy free Trick or Treating, a free photo in the Peanuts Pumpkin Patch, Halloween crafts, prizes and more.
- 6 p.m. - Fun and Games with 5Wits: Join 5Wits for a night of fun and games. Try some of 5Wits’ favorite board and card games and have a chance to take them home for a steal.
- 7 to 10 p.m. - Live Music at Tastings Wine Bar & Bistro: Welcome Gay Barboza to Tastings' Music Series’ stage.
- 8 p.m. - Blue Oyster Cult performs at Showcase Live: Their motto "On Tour Forever" still holds, as the band plays over 100 dates per year. Most fans feel the band sounds better than ever with musical maturity and skill plus over three decades of playing together.
- 8 p.m. - Phil Vassar at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: Phil Vassar has been named ASCAP’s songwriter of the year and has also held a place on Billboard country’s Top 5. He will be debuting some of his newly produced songs as well as playing some of his older tunes to show how multi-talented an artist he is.
- 9 p.m. - LEVEL ONE at CBS Scene: Stop by CBS Scene’s nightclub, LEVEL ONE, for a night of dancing.
- 9:30 p.m. - Thirty 6 Red at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This high-energy cover band does it all. Their philosophy is to play great songs and make sure their audience is enjoying the show from start to finish. With amazing vocals and the ability to own the stage, Thirty 6 Red is one live show that must be seen.