Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect More Showers in Foxborough Tuesday
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for showers, mainly before 5 p.m. Areas of fog before 2 p.m. High near 52. East wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible. Tuesday night: Rain showers likely before 5 a.m, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Areas of fog between 8 and 9 p.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. West wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
2. Foxborough Board of Selectmen Meet Tuesday
The Foxborough Board of Selectmen will meet Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Andrew Gala Meeting Room of Town Hall with a full agenda. Selectmen are expected to meet in executive session with Foxborough Police Chief Edward O’Leary and Town Counsel Richard Gelerman to discuss criminal matters related to the sexual abuse allegations against William E. Sheehan before opening to public session at 7 p.m.
In public session, selectmen are expected to recognize the town’s Animal Control Officer Sue Thibedeau; Review change of manager for Renaissance Hotel located at 28 Patriot Pl.; Review change of manager for Showcase Cinema located at 24 Patriot Pl.; Hold a public hearing to discuss the Kenny Chesney concerts at Gillette Stadium, scheduled for August 2013; Continue the public meeting for the Taylor Swift concerts at Gillette Stadium in July 2013; Hold a discussion with Town Moderator Frank Spillane to discuss possibility of holding Town Meetings on Saturday; Review the request from the Water & Sewer Board for a Special Town Meeting to be held on March 4, 2013 to vote on the Municipal Sewer Agreement with Mansfield and Norton.
3. Harlem Wizards Are Coming to Foxborough
The Parents In Education (PIE) group of Foxborough Regional Charter School is bringing the Harlem Wizards to Foxborough. For more information about the Wizards, visit their website at www.harlemwizards.com. If you have any questions about the event feel free to email PIE's President, Jennifer Smith at email@example.com.
“We are so excited to be hosting such a great event,” Smith said. “Tickets to this would an amazing gift for everyone on your holiday list (all tickets online can be picked up at will call the day of the game). Since this is a family orientated event you can bring anyone to it.”
Tickets are available on the Wizards website - just pick the correct date: Monday, Jan. 14, 2013 and the correct school: Foxborough Regional Charter School (FRCS). Tickets are $9/students and $11/general admission prior to the event and $11/students and $13/general admission on game day (note tickets must be purchased before Wednesday, Jan. 9th to be prior event pricing).
This is the Wizards’ 50th anniversary tour. There will be souvenirs available at the game and the Wizards players stay until every last autograph has been signed. PIE will have refreshments available for sale.
“We cannot wait for this community event to take place,” said Smith.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- Help the Foxborough Food Pantry at Old Navy: From now through Dec. 19 Old Navy will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit the Foxborough Food Pantry. Help those in need this holiday season and make a donation today.
- 11 a.m. - Storytime at Showcase Cinema de Lux: Meet Santa Claus at Kids Club Storytime Tuesday at 11 a.m.
- 6 to 8 p.m. - Free information session - Weight Loss Surgery: If you are thinking about weight loss surgery and have questions, come to a free information session provided by the Center for Metabolic Health and Bariatric Surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital.
5. Fifth Graders Perform Orchestra & Chorus Concert at Ahern Middle School
The Ahern Middle School Grade 5 Orchestra & Chorus will perform in concert at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium.