Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Looks Like a Sunny Thursday in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for sunny, with a high near 83. West wind 5 to 13 mph. Thursday night: Clear, with a low around 60. Southwest wind around 8 mph.
2. Igo Elementary School Gets New School Nurse
Erin E. Murray was named the Igo Elementary School’s nurse at Monday’s School Committee meeting. Schools Superintendent Debra Spinelli recommended Murray to the School Committee, which approved her request unanimously at Monday’s meeting. Murray has 22 years of nursing experience, serving in a variety of roles.
“She has quite a comprehensive background,” Spinelli said.
3. Joe Kennedy III to Visit Local Firefighters in Foxborough Thursday
On Thursday, Joe Kennedy III will be in Attleboro to visit the Gordon N. Larson Senior Center and stop by his regional office. Afterward, he will head to the Mansfield Senior Center, then to Foxborough to meet with local firefighters. Kennedy, a candidate in the race for the Fourth Congressional District seat, will meet with local firefighters at the Foxborough Public Safety Building at 1 p.m.
- 11 a.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Bounce Houses: Jump around all afternoon in inflatable bounce houses. Located in the North Marketplace outside of Red Robin. Have a blast as the kids bounce the day away.
- 3 to 6 p.m. - Farmers Market at Patriot Place: Attend the Patriot Place Farmers Market featuring the freshest and finest from local growers and purveyors across New England.
- 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. - 2013 Cheerleader Calendar Launch Party: Join all 24 Patriots Cheerleaders Thursday at CBS Scene’s Level One club space as they unveil their 2013 swimsuit calendar, which features 25 photos. A video showing the making of the swimsuit calendar, “Sideline to Shoreline,” will also premiere at the event. The Patriots Cheerleaders will wear their signature uniforms, greet fans, pose for pictures and sign autographs. The event is open to the public and there is no fee for parking or entry. Fans of all ages are invited to attend, though Level One becomes 21+ at 9 p.m. Calendars will be available for purchase for $20, with 30 percent of proceeds donated to the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation.
- 8 p.m. - Easton Corbin at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: With hits such as “A Little More Country Than That,” “Roll With It” and his latest “Lovin’ You is Fun,” this country artist has won several awards at the American Country Awards. He recently toured with Brad Paisley in 2010.
5. Five Former Patriots Welcome Home 50 Military Heroes at Hanscom Air Force Base Thursday
Five New England Patriots alumni will honor 50 servicemen and women who have recently returned home from serving in Afghanistan and Iraq at Hansom Air Force Base. The alumni will participate in a celebratory parade in duck boats that will culminate in a ceremony and reception for the returning heroes. Alumni will thank service men and women and their families for their commitment to our country and sign autographs for those in attendance.
The players participating in Thursday’s event are:
- Steve Nelson
- Roland James
- Ronnie Lippett
- Steve DeOssie
- Jermaine Wiggins
The Patriots alumni will greet service men and women at 12:30 p.m. followed by a duck boat parade at 12:45 p.m. and a ceremony at 1:30 p.m. Hanscom Air Force base is located at 1425 Kirtland St. Hanscom AFB, Mass.