Halloween parties are underway, sweets are everywhere and, consequently, mom’s anxiety levels are rising! How do we deal with all the candy and hyped-up kids? Actually having a plan, or a set of rules in place prior to Halloween night will make for a more enjoyable Holiday (and fewer tummy-aches!)
If you have young children sharing the tail of the Candy Witch, also known as the Switch Witch, is a brilliant idea. As the story goes, the Candy Witch sneaks in Halloween night (like the tooth fairy) and replaces the child’s candy with a toy. The child needs to leave one piece of candy on the doorstep to let the witch know they want to give up their candy. Just be sure to plan ahead and have a special toy ready!
Here are a few other idea’s for planning the great candy escape!
- Turn in your candy to the Dentist. Many offer a goody bag to kids turning their candy in!
- Bake or add to desserts. Turn candy into a milk shake or put it on toast! Check out these ideas on SeriousSeats.com.
- Trail Mix it.
- Use the candy as a learning game - practice counting, patterns, making piles.
- Save it for a gingerbread house.
- Pick out their favorite candies and donate the rest to the office.
- Buy them out for 5 cents a piece!
- Make an advent calendar out of it.
- Stash some in your car for emergencies.
- Dole it out S-l-o-w-l-y.
There’s certainly a part of all of us that enjoys it as much as the kids. A rule that can go a long way is making the kids eat something healthy and nutritious before diving into the pillow case. That said, it’s not a bad idea to down-size the pillow case to something smaller! Have a safe Halloween. Indulge and enjoy!