DockDogs' 'Backyard Splash' to be Held at Bass Pro Shops this Weekend
Bass Pro Shops and Hudson Valley DockDogs present "Backyard Splash," a regional DockDogs competition for dogs of all breeds, sizes and abilities in the area. The event will be held in the front parking lot of Bass Pro Shops this Saturday and Sunday.
For two days this weekend, dogs will be jumping, flying, splashing and swimming in the front parking lot of Bass Pro Shops at Patriot Place for the Bass Pro Shops and Hudson Valley DockDogs "Backyard Splash" regional competition.
Perhaps the best part about Bass Pro Shops' and Hudson Valley DockDogs' event is your dog can do it too.
Handler and dog teams will compete for cash prizes Saturday, July 21 and Sunday, July 22. The Backyard Splash will be sure to dazzle spectators with high-flying canine athleticism and put on a show like no other. A variety of competitions will be held throughout each day where dogs compete in "Big Air," "Extreme Vertical," and "Speed Retrieve."
- Big Air is the long jump equivalent for canine athletes. Big Air dogs catapult off the end of a 40-foot dock into a 28,000-gallon pool to retrieve a floatable object, such as their favorite toy. Jump distances are measured from the end of the dock to where the base of the dog’s tail breaks the water.
- Extreme Vertical is a high jump contest in which the dog launches upward in order to knock down a bumper suspended over the water, 8 feet from the end of the dock. Runs are shorter, and speed is reduced in order to achieve maximum power for great heights.
- Speed Retrieve is a 60-foot dash, where teams race against the clock. Each competing dog runs, jumps, and swims to retrieve a bumper located at the end of the pool.
This event at the Bass Pro Shops at Patriot Place will be full of fun. Spectators will have the opportunity to cheer on all levels of teams, from new to experienced, as they splashdown into the big blue swimming pool.
Dog owners who are interested in competing are invited to bring any dog over the age of six months that loves the water and enjoys playing fetch—regardless of breed, size, shape, or ability. All dogs are welcome, and those new to the sport can introduce their dogs to this fast-growing competition, and get tips on coaching and encouraging their pooches from Hudson Valley DockDogs members.
As a special treat, Hudson Valley DockDogs will have on hand the current World Record holder Dave Skoletsky and his dog Yeager, a Belgian Malinois. Skoletsky and Yeager currently hold the world record for Extreme Vertical, with a vertical leap of 8-feet, 4-inches into the air over the pool.
Here's a look at the schedule of events:
Saturday, July 21:
- Onsite Registration / Practice - 8 a.m.
- Big Air Wave No. 1 - 9 a.m.
- Speed Retrieve No. 1 - 11 a.m.
- Big Air Wave No. 2 - 1 p.m.
- Big Air Wave No. 3 - 3 p.m.
- Extreme Vertical - 5:30 p.m.
Sunday, July 22:
- Onsite Registration / Practice - 8 a.m.
- Big Air Wave No. 4 - 9 a.m.
- Big Air Wave No. 5 - 11 a.m.
- Speed Retrieve No. 2 - 1 p.m.
- Speed Retrieve Finals - 3 p.m.
- Big Air Divisional Finals - 3:30 p.m. (Top six in each division)
Each team will receive two official competition jumps per wave and practice opportunities during open dock throughout the week.
Hudson Valley DockDogs registration is $30 on site per Big Air, Speed Retrieve wave or Extreme Vertical competition. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted for entry fees on site. Space is limited for onsite registration, so please come early if you would be interested in competing. Dogs must be attended and on a leash at all times, except while competing on the dock. No retractable leashes. No females in heat allowed within Hudson Valley DockDogs competing area. For more information on what to bring to a competition, and DockDog® rules and policies, visit www.dockdogs.com.
For additional details on Hudson Valley DockDogs at Bass Pro Shops "Backyard Splash", visit www.hudsonvalleydockdogs.com.
Formed in 2007, Hudson Valley DockDogs is the New York, Connecticut, Western, and Central Massachusetts Region affiliate chapter of DockDogs® out of Medina, Ohio, the independent governing and sanctioning body for regional, national, and international dock jumping performance sports. DockDogs® establishes the rules and standards of the sport, tracks results and records, and supports and promotes the growth of its athletes, events, spectators, and sponsors. Hudson Valley DockDogs provides support and encouragement to dock diving teams.