5 Things: Winter Carnival, Chance of Snow, Triaminic and Theraflu Product Recall & More
Here’s what’s happening in Foxborough this weekend, Feb. 2-3.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Chance of Snow This Weekend in Foxborough
Saturday’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for increasing clouds, with a high near 31. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph. Saturday night: A chance of snow, mainly after 9 p.m. Cloudy, with a low around 19. Southwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. Little or no snow accumulation expected. Sunday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. North wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. Sunday night: Snow likely, mainly before 9 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. North wind 6 to 9 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
2. Winter Carnival at Ahern Middle School
On Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Ahern Middle School Student Council and Parent Advisory Council will be holding their annual Winter Carnival at the Ahern School. Admission is $5 and includes games, prizes and inflatable fun. Check out the new ice cube shuffleboard, Snowball target, Ping Pong and sign up for the Volleyball tournament. Grab a friend and take a picture at the Photo Booth. Pizza, drinks, hot cocoa and popcorn will be available for purchase. Decorate a cookie for $1. Don’t forget to check out the over 30 raffle baskets. There are some great themed baskets including an Apple iPad Mini, six gift card baskets - two with over $250 in gift cards, two with $200 and a money tree worth $170, Patriot basket, sports baskets, 5 Below baskets, Winter Fun, a few Candy baskets and much more. The always-popular Lucky U table is back. This event is always a lot of fun for kids of all ages. Please come support the Ahern students.
3. Triaminic and Theraflu Product Being Recalled
The maker of Triaminic and Theraflu products has voluntarily recalled 24 products because of faulty child-resistant caps, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday.
"Triaminic Syrups and Theraflu Warming Relief Syrups for cough, colds and fevers were voluntarily recalled by the manufacturer, Novartis Consumer Health, because the cap could still be removed by a child even with the tamper-resistant seal in place," CNN reported.
The immediate risk to consumers is low, because the affected bottles were "distributed between May 24, 2010, and December 21, 2011, approximately 97 percent of the Theraflu and Triaminic inventory has already been consumed, returned to Novartis, or quarantined at a Novartis warehouse," according to CNN.
The full list of products is available in a pdf attached to this article.
For information on how to return an affected product, click here.
4. Patriot Place Events:
The following events will be held at Patriot Place this weekend:
- (Saturday) - Artist's Studio & Gallery features North Attleboro High School: The Artist's Studio & Gallery at Patriot Place hosts North Attleboro High School displaying pieces of student art along with other artists from around the area. Stop in and check out these great pieces.
- (Saturday) 11 a.m. & 2 p.m. - Winter Wonder - Mad Science: Join the world’s leading science enrichment provider Mad Science® for a unique, hands-on science experience for children that are as entertaining as they are educational. Located at the Patriot Place Activity Center.
- (Sunday) - Artist's Studio & Gallery features North Attleboro High School: The Artist's Studio & Gallery at Patriot Place hosts North Attleboro High School displaying pieces of student art along with other artists from around the area. Stop in and check out these great pieces.
- (Sunday) - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Sunday Brunch at Skipjack's: Come to Skipjack's for brunch Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and enjoy live jazz music.
5. Post 93 American Legion Baseball Sign Ups
Post 93 American Legion baseball sign ups will be held for players ages 15-19 living in Sharon, Foxborough and Mansfield on Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. at the American Legion Hall at 8 Mechanic St.