5 Things: Selectmen Meeting, Fire Department Now Hiring & More
Here's five things you need to know in Foxborough for today, Jan. 22.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. More Snow Expected Tuesday in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a chance of snow, mainly before 9 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. West wind 10 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. Tuesday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -7. West wind 8 to 13 mph.
2. Foxborough Fire Department Looking for Entry Level Firefighter/Paramedic
The Foxborough Fire Department is now accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic for the purpose of filling a vacancy.
- Applicants must hold a Massachusetts State Certified paramedic license, with all current ACLS certifications with authorization to practice along with a valid driver’s license.
- Applications can be picked-up at the Public Safety Building at the Dispatcher Center, 8 Chestnut St., Foxborough.
- The application period will close on Jan. 24 at 4 p.m. and applications and resumes must be dropped off at the Fire Administration offices in the Public Safety Building.
- Two years of fire service experience is preferred.
3. Foxborough Board of Selectmen to Meet Tuesday
Foxborough’s Board of Selectmen will meet Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Andrew Gala Meeting Room of Town Hall to discuss the following business:
- Police Chief Edward O’Leary will discuss the receipt of breathalyzer grant
- Continuation of the liquor violation public hearing for Waxy O’Connor’s
- Selectman Lorraine Brue will provide an update on the Town Asset Review
- Foxborough Fire Chief Roger Hatfield will discuss fire department fees
- Foxborough Town Manager Kevin Paicos will discuss Board of Selectmen fee increase
- Foxborough Board of Selectmen chair James DeVellis will discuss the formation of the Plainville Gaming Proposal Review Committee
- Paicos will discuss the cancellation of March’s Special Town Meeting for the sewer IMA.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- Opening Rounds of the 2013 Pond Hockey Tournament: Third Annual Pond Hockey Tournament at Winter Skate at Patriot Place – Foxboro Presented by Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare begins Jan. 21 and runs thru Jan. 26 with multiple competitive divisions.
The tournament takes place the week between the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl XLVII on Patriot Place’s Outdoor Refrigerated Rink. Weeknight games are played under the lights. Each team can roster up to 10 players. The league is a no-check men’s tournament with four players on the ice at one time. Games consist of two 15-minute halves. All teams play a minimum of three games. Cost is $320 per team in advance and limited to first 32 teams to sign up. For more information, call (508) 203-2100.
- 11 a.m. - Storytime at Showcase Cinema de Lux: Meet Elmo at Kids Club Storytime Tuesday.
5. Ahern Middle School PAC Meeting
Ahern Middle School PAC will be meeting tonight from 7 to 8 at the middle school.