5 Things: Happy Valentine’s Day, Foxboro Sports Center Rink Expansion, Stringfest Concert & More
Here's five things you need to know in Foxborough for today, Feb. 14.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Mostly Sunny Thursday with a High Near 42 in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for mostly sunny, with a high near 42. North wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. Thursday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 30. South wind 3 to 5 mph.
2. History of Valentine’s Day
Today is Valentine’s Day – a holiday that celebrates love, romance and the story of St. Valentine.
According to History.com, “The history of Valentine's Day--and the story of its patron saint--is shrouded in mystery. We do know that February has long been celebrated as a month of romance, and that St. Valentine's Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition.”
Learn more about Saint Valentine and the origin of Valentine’s Day by clicking here.
Did you know?
Approximately 150 million Valentine's Day cards are exchanged annually, making Valentine's Day the second most popular card-sending holiday after Christmas, according to History.com.
3. Planning Board to Discuss Foxboro Sports Center Rink Expansion
Foxborough’s Planning Board will hold a public hearing Thursday at 8:15 p.m. in the Andrew Gala Meeting Room of Town Hall to review a Site Plan Review application from F.S.C. Realty LLC for the construction of an addition to an existing skating rink facility (Foxboro Sports Center on East Belcher Road) to include a third skating rink and associated improvements. The property is within the Limited Industrial Zoning District and the site is shown on plan dated Jan. 17, 2013 drawn by GLM Engineering, Holliston. A copy of the site plan may be inspected at the Town Clerk or Planning Department offices during regular business hours of Town Hall.
4. Patriot Place Events:
Here’s a look at today’s events at Patriot Place:
- Valentine's Day at Patriot Place: Spend Valentine's Day at Patriot Place! See all the ways to pamper, dine and treat your valentine by clicking here. http://www.patriot-place.com/Valentinesday.aspx
- Bass Pro Shops Free Boat Show: Join Bass Pro Shops for gift card giveaways, free family activities, free insider tips from the Pros and free boating and fishing seminars.
- 11 a.m. - Winter Wonder - Creation Station: Join Patriot Place for hands-on art activities that explore a wide range of art media and tools. Today's activity is Valentine’s Day Fun and Games (Bingo and Tic Tac Toe).
- 6 p.m. - Fun and Games with 5Wits: Join 5Wits for a night of fun and games. Try some of their favorite board and card games and have a chance to take them home for a steal.
5. Stringfest Concert at Ahern Middle School
Ahern Middle School students will perform its Stringfest Concert in the auditorium from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.