5 Things for the Weekend: Tri-Town Chamber Donates to Local Food Pantries, Holiday Toy Drive, Theatre Auditions and More
Here’s what’s happening in Foxborough this weekend, Dec. 15-16.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Snow Could Fall on Foxborough Sunday Night
Saturday’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for sunny, with a high near 37. North wind 6 to 9 mph. Saturday night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 24. Northeast wind 3 to 5 mph. Sunday: A slight chance of snow showers before 3pm, then rain showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 37. East wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Sunday night: Rain showers before 9 p.m., then rain and snow showers between 9 p.m. and midnight, then rain showers after midnight. Low around 35. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
2. Tri-Town Chamber Donates to Local Food Pantries
The Tri-Town Chamber of Commerce’s annual Oktoberfest to benefit the areas food pantries was a huge success again this year. The chamber is reported in a recent press release that to date it has donated roughly $30,000 over the past five years to the three food pantries. The Chamber also thanked this year’s partners Mansfield Crossing and Covidien for helping to make this happen.
Tri-Town Chamber of Commerce Leadership Team – Ingrid Williams, John Bates, Jen Vondenbrink and a representative from each of the three area food pantries: Lisa Dows of the Foxboro Discretionary Fund, Kim Hoy of the Mansfield Our daily Bread and Tony of the Norton Cupboard of Kindness. See photo above for more about the donation.
3. Patriots Host Holiday Toy Drive at Sunday’s Game
This Sunday’s Patriots game vs. San Francisco marks the final days for fans to participate in the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation’s Celebrate Volunteerism holiday toy drive benefiting children in need.
Fans are encouraged to bring new and unwrapped toy donations to the gates of Gillette Stadium or to the Patriots ProShop prior to the game to receive a $5 ProShop voucher. Following the game, fans can bring final donations through Monday, Dec. 17 to the ProShop and receive the $5 voucher. All toys donated by fans will be personally delivered by Patriots players at upcoming holiday charitable events.
Toy donations must be new and unwrapped. Toys will serve children ranging from newborn to 18 years old.
Suggested items to donate:
- Action figures
- Art supplies including markers, washable paints, colored pencils and drawing pads
- Board games
- Building toys (blocks, etc.)
- Educational toys (science, math, reading)
- Footballs, soccer balls and assorted sporting goods
- Jewelry kits
- Musical toys
- New teddy bears/stuffed animals
- School supplies
- Toy cars and trucks
- Winter clothing – gloves, hats, jackets and mittens
The Celebrate Volunteerism campaign encourages fans to personally go out into the community and make a difference by pledging volunteer hours. Patriots fans can visit www.patriots.com/community, pledge volunteer hours and print an official Patriots Celebrate Volunteerism certificate. Fans are then encouraged to submit photos holding their Celebrate Volunteerism certificate while participating in their volunteer work to CharitableEvents@patriots.com.
4. Patriot Place Events:
The following events will be held at Patriot Place this weekend:
- (Saturday) - Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- (Saturday) - Help the Foxborough Food Pantry at Old Navy: Old Navy will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit the Foxborough Food Pantry from Dec. 1-19. Help those in need this holiday season and make a donation today.
- (Saturday) - Holiday Carolers: Join Patriot Place as it gets into the spirit of the season with its roaming carolers.
- (Saturday) 10 a.m. - Holiday Classics at Showcase Cinemas De Lux: Enjoy free admission to a classic holiday movie with a donation of non-perishable food items to benefit a local food pantry. This week's classic holiday film: It Happened on 5th Ave.
- (Saturday) 2 p.m. - Foxborough Regional Charter School Choir at Old Navy: Enjoy a live performance by the award winning, Foxborough Regional Charter School Choir on Dec. 15th at 2 p.m. outside of Old Navy.
- (Saturday) 3 to 5 p.m. - Andre Tippett & Mike Haynes speak at The Hall: The Hall at Patriot Place Presented by Raytheon’s popular Speaker Series continues on Saturday Dec. 15 with Pro Football Hall of Famers and Patriots legends Andre Tippett and Mike Haynes appearing in the Raytheon Theater. Doors to the event open at 2:45 p.m. with the event starting at 3 p.m. and ending at 5 p.m. The $25 ticket includes one autograph from each speaker as well as admission to The Hall.
- (Saturday) 6 p.m. - BJ Thomas performs at Showcase Live: B.J. Thomas (born Billy Joe Thomas) straddled the line between pop/rock and country, achieving success in both genres in the late '60s and '70s.
- (Saturday) 9:30 p.m. - Tom Dixon Band at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: With a unique combination of smooth country vocals and an explosive live performance, The Tom Dixon Band has given birth to a new way of delivering that sweet country sound.
- (Sunday) - Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- (Sunday) - Help the Foxborough Food Pantry at Old Navy: Old Navy will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit the Foxborough Food Pantry from Dec. 1-19. Help those in need this holiday season and make a donation today.
- (Sunday) – noon to 3 p.m. - 103.3 AMP Radio at Winter Skate: Join 103.3 AMP Radio as we celebrate the holidays around New England all season long for Patriot Place holiday hip trips. The Amptourage will be at Winter Skate Sunday.
- (Sunday) – 8:20 p.m. - New England Patriots vs. San Francisco 49ers: The New England Patriots take on the San Francisco 49ers at Gillette Stadium on NBC’s Sunday Night Football.
5. Auditions for ‘How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying’ is Sunday
The Un-Common Theatre Company continues its 33rd season with its spring production of the hilarious How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. Auditions for students in grades 7 through 12 will be held on Sunday, Dec. 16. Frank Loesser and Abe Burrows’ hilarious musical comedy will be directed by Christa Crewdson and choreographed by Julia Snider with music direction by Esther Zabinski. This show will be performed at The Orpheum from April 4-7, 2013.
Auditions will be held at St. Mark’s Church, 116 South Street, Foxborough on Sunday, Dec. 16 from 1 to 4 p.m. by appointment only. Students in grades 7 through 12 are welcome to audition. Callbacks will be held on Monday, Dec. 17 at 6:30 p.m. at the Robinson School in Mansfield. To make an appointment e-mail email@example.com or call the audition line (508) 698-3098. Please provide your name, grade, age, e-mail address and telephone number. A representative from The Un-Common Theatre Company will contact you with an appointment time and more information. Dancers are encouraged to audition.
Auditioners are asked to prepare an up-tempo song from any musical comedy. Feel free to break from gender roles for the sake of comedy. Un-Common Theatre Company reserves the right to ask you to sing entire song or an excerpt from prepared piece. Please visit www.uncommontheatre.org for more information.