5 Things for the Weekend: POW-MIA Remembrance Day, YMCA 5K/Fun Day, Fishing Seminars and More
Here’s what’s happening in Foxborough this weekend, Sept. 22-23.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Sunny Weekend with Temperatures in the 70s
Saturday’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for patchy fog before 10 a.m. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 73. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Saturday night: A chance of rain, mainly between 2 and 3 a.m. Patchy fog after 11 p.m. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 58. South wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Sunday: Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 70. West wind 6 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Sunday night: Clear, with a low around 44. West wind 5 to 8 mph.
2. POW-MIA Remembrance Day on Foxboro Common Saturday
The Foxborough Veterans Services Department and the town's Veterans Services Advisory Committee (VSAC) will be holding the second Annual POW/MIA Remembrance Day on Saturday on the Foxboro Common.
Saturday, Sept. 22 will be a day of remembrance on Foxboro Common for military prisoners of war and military servicemen and women missing in action.
The town's second annual POW*MIA Remembrance Day is organized by the Foxborough Veterans Services Department and the town's Veterans Services Advisory Committee (VSAC). Below is a preliminary program for the event:
- Ceremony begins at 4:45 p.m.
- Circling of Common - 1 Rolling Thunder and Legion Riders
- Bob Siteman, VSAC chair, will give the Welcome Remarks and Introduction of Master of Ceremony Joseph Lally
- Father Steve Madden, pastor of St. Mary Church has been asked to give the Invocation
- Combined Color Guards - AL 93 & VFW 2626 will post the colors
- Salute to the flag
- The National Anthem is expected to be performed by a Foxborough High School student
- Introduction of Dignitaries will include State Senator James Timilty, State Representative Jay Barrows, members of the Foxborough Board of Selectmen and John Hogan, district director, CVSD.
- Speakers during the event will include Timilty or Barrows, Foxborough Town Historian Jack Authelet, Mike Johns, VSO, CVSD and John MacGillivary, VSO, Newton.
- Heath Hobson, VSO, CVSD will read the narrative of the Missing Man Table
- Joseph D'Entremont, president of MA-1 Rolling Thunder will present the POW*MIA Flag to BOS chair James DeVellis.
- Pastor Bill Dudley of Union Church in South Foxborough will give the benediction.
- The combined color guards will perform the gun salute and Ray Fuller and Matt Mello will perform echo Taps.
3. YMCA’s 10th Annual Foxborough 5K and Family Fun Day is Sunday
the Hockomock Area YMCA will host its annual 5K and Family Fun day to benefit the LIVESTRONG cancer survivorship program.
This annual road race is held in loving memory of Linda Cavossa, Michael Baker, and Jackie Thomas. The funds raised from this event go to support the Hockomock YMCA’s Reach Out for Youth & Families Campaign and specifically to the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA Cancer survivorship program.
The LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program is a 12-week strength and conditioning program designed for adult cancer survivors who are deconditioned and chronically fatigued from their cancer and/or treatment. This program is without cost to the survivor and their family.
The event will be held at the Foxboro YMCA on Mechanic Street, beginning with registration at 9 a.m.
The 5K race begins at 11 a.m. and the route is a flat course through Foxborough, which caters to all fitness levels. There will be both a running and walking division, awarding the top three finishers in each running division.
T-shirts will be available for the first 300 pre-registered participants.
Registration beginning Sept. 15 will be $25. When on the Hockomock Area YMCA's website, select the drop down “Events” and “Foxboro 5K Run/Walk.”
The YMCA will also host a Kids Fun Run at noon Sunday. All children ages nine and younger are encouraged to register. Kids Fun Run is $5.
There will be family activities from 9 a.m. to noon featuring Radio Disney, which will include kids games and prizes, inflatable obstacle course, free refreshments, and music. The Y says it wants to get your entire family being active and having fun at the event.
4. Patriot Place Events:
Saturday, Sept. 22:
- 2 p.m. - Free Fishing Seminars and Kids Activities at Bass Pro Shop: 2 p.m. - Fish Hatcheries - Where Do These Fish Go?; 3 p.m. - Selecting the Right Baits for Fall Fishing
- 7:30 p.m. - New England Revolution vs. New York Red Bulls: Come see the New England Revolution take on the New York Red Bulls at Gillette Stadium.
- 7:30 p.m. - The Young Dubliners perform at Showcase Live: Seamlessly blending their rock and Celtic influences into a high energy, anthemic and lyrically poignant mix, the Young Dubliners will perform at Showcase Live.
- 8 p.m. - Krystal Keith at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: Daughter to Toby Keith, Krystal Keith has been known to sing with her father on stage and is an aspiring country singer, following in the footsteps of her dad.
- 9:30 p.m. - Branded at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This Boston-based alternative country band blurs the lines between three-chords-and-the-truth and down home country music.
Sunday, Sept. 23:
- 2 p.m. - Free Fishing Seminars and Kids Activities at Bass Pro Shop: 2 p.m. - Knowing Your Lakes and Streams; 3 p.m. - Changing Water Conditions and Finding Fish.
5. Other Local Events This Weekend
The following events are taking place in Foxborough this weekend.
Saturday, Sept. 22:
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Foxborough High School National Honor Society Car Wash: Support the Foxborough High School National Honor Society during its car wash behind Town Hall Saturday morning.
2 p.m. – The Learning Experience’s Back-to-School Bash: Join The Learning Experience at 121 Main St. Saturday in what is to be a fun time for the whole family. The Learning Experience will have Kiss 108 playing the tunes, there will be booths with free giveaways, face painting and a scavenger hunt.
Sunday, Sept. 23:
2 to 6 p.m. - Doolittle Home Open House: If you are considering options for long-term care or that of your parents or loved ones, the Doolittle Home cordially invites you to explore this “hidden gem” located just off Foxboro Common on Bird Street.
Stop by Doolittle Home for a special Open House event on Sunday, September 23, from 2 to 4 p.m.
Guests will enjoy refreshments featuring the Doolittle Home’s homemade “Foxboro Famous” Doolittle Home cookies, musical entertainment and delightful giveaways.
Doolittle Home staff and Board of Trustees will be on hand to answer questions and help provide resources to those who may be caregivers.