5 Things for the Weekend: Chance of Snow, Decorating on the Common, FMF Cheerleaders Fundraiser and More
Here’s what’s happening in Foxborough this weekend, Dec. 1-2.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Chance of Snow this Weekend in Foxborough
Saturday’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a chance of snow before 9 a.m., then a chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 42. East wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. Saturday night: A chance of showers, mainly before 3 a.m. Patchy fog before 1 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, with a temperature rising to around 46 by 5 a.m. Southeast wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Sunday: A slight chance of showers before 9 a.m., then a slight chance of showers after 4 p.m. Partly sunny, with a high near 57. South wind 5 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent. Sunday night: A chance of showers, mainly between 9 p.m. and 4 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Southwest wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
2. Foxboro Jaycees’ Annual Decorate the Common is Saturday
Saturday is the first day of December and time again for the Foxboro Jaycees' annual decorating of the Common and nativity scene setup.
The Jaycees are inviting the community to come out and help decorate Foxborough's Common in what has become a fun and festive holiday tradition in town.
Setup begins at 9 a.m. on the Common. Lights, garlands, bows, wreaths and the Nativity Scene will once again make the Foxborough Common ready for the holiday season. Everyone is welcome, and students can even count this work towards National Honor Society or other community service credit.
3. Foxboro Midget Football Cheerleaders Holding Fundraiser Dance Saturday
The Foxboro Midget Football A-Team cheerleaders will be holding a fundraiser dance at the Invensys Cafeteria on Neponset Street from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday to help offset costs to compete in a national competition at Disney World in Orlando, Fla. The dance is open to all students grades 5 to 8. Cost is $6 and snacks will be available for purchase. All proceeds will benefit the FMF cheerleaders’ effort to travel to Orlando. For more information on how you can help the FMF cheerleaders get to Disney World, click here.
4. Patriot Place Events:
The following events will be held at Patriot Place this weekend:
- (Saturday) - Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- (Saturday) - Help the Foxborough Food Pantry at Old Navy: Old Navy will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit the Foxborough Food Pantry from Dec. 1-19. Help those in need this holiday season and make a donation today.
- (Saturday) – 6th Annual Mega Blood Drive at Gillette Stadium: Bob’s Discount Furniture and the American Red Cross are teaming up with the New England Patriots to host the sixth annual “mega” blood drive and day of family fun at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, Dec. 1 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. inside the luxurious Putnam Club.
- (Saturday) 9 a.m. - MIAA Super Bowls: Come see the 2012 MIAA High School Super Bowls at Gillette Stadium.
- (Saturday) 10 a.m. - Holiday Classics at Showcase Cinemas De Lux: Enjoy free admission to a classic holiday movie with a donation of non-perishable food items to benefit a local food pantry. This week's classic holiday film: White Christmas.
- (Saturday) 7 p.m. - Men Without Hats at Showcase Live: Men Without Hats have been creating iconic and irresistible pop music for three decades and have soared back with the release of their latest album, Love in the Age of War, to be released this May.
- (Saturday) 9:30 p.m. - Thirty 6 Red at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This high-energy cover band does it all. Their philosophy is to play great songs and make sure their audience is enjoying the show from start to finish. With amazing vocals and the ability to own the stage, Thirty 6 Red is one live show that must be seen.
- (Saturday) 10:30 p.m. - Appetite for Destruction at Showcase Live: Appetite for Destruction, the ultimate Guns N’ Roses experience, have been performing the music of Guns N’ Roses for fifteen years, selling out venues throughout the northeast.
- (Sunday) - Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- (Sunday) - Help the Foxborough Food Pantry at Old Navy: Old Navy will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit the Foxborough Food Pantry from Dec. 1-19. Help those in need this holiday season and make a donation today.
5. Shop Local for Your Christmas Tree this Weekend
Picking out a Christmas tree has been a time-honored tradition for many and with Christmas less than a month away, the holiday season is officially here.
For those setting out to find the perfect tree this weekend look no further than Foxborough. We asked Foxborough Patch readers where they go in town to buy their trees.
Here is a list of some of the most popular places in town to buy a Christmas tree, according to our readers.
Boy Scouts - Troop 7 is selling trees behind Town Hall. The Christmas tree sale begins on Saturday, Dec. 1 at 6 Central St. from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Trees start at $15.