5 Things for the Weekend: BBQ, Sports and Area Events
Here's a look at the weekend ahead for June 23-24.
Weekend Forecast: Saturday's weather, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 3 and 5 p.m. Patchy fog before 7 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. North wind between 6 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Saturday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 59. North wind between 5 and 7 mph. Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 82. Northwest wind around 6 mph becoming southwest. Sunday night: A chance of showers, mainly after 10 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Southwest wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Weekend Events in the Area:
- Piano Steve and DJ Brian Delano will be playing at Casey O'Conors Saturday at 6 p.m.
- The 20th anniversary of the statewide Against the Tide event is a family-friendly fundraiser to benefit Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition (MBCC). MBCC works to reduce toxic chemicals in the environment, which research shows are linked to the dramatic rise in the incidence of breast cancer. Against the Tide will take place at DCR’s Hopkinton State Park 7 a.m. until noon. It consists of several different activities: a competitive and recreational 1-mile swim, 2-mile kayak, 3-mile walk, 5K run, and 10K run. New in 2012 is an Aquathlon consisting of a competitive 1-mile swim and your choice of a competitive 5K or 10K run. For more information or to register visit www.mbcc.org/swim or call 800-649-MBCC.
- Art Adventures will be at the Children's Museum in Easton Saturday at 10 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Norton Parks and Rec will be having an annual Founder's Day Picnic (same as the 300th picnic last year) from 5 to 9 p.m. Come by the Patch table to get some freebies. Rain date is Saturday, June 30.
- There will be a Yard Sale - Fundraiser for Breast Cancer Walk 9 a.m. at the Wrentham Town Common.
- Showcase Live is presenting Saved by the '90's! A Party with the Bayside Tigers at 7:30 p.m. Danny, Alex, and Nat are graduates of Berklee College of Music who have converged to bring to the masses the timeless, unforgettable and effervescent music of the 1990s. With all your favorite hit singles, it's sure to be a party you won't soon forget! Let's party like it's 1999!
- The Town of Mansfield - Council on Aging is now accepting reservations for the summer trip to McCoy Stadium for July this Saturday. The annual Pawtucket Red Sox Game will be on Thursday, July 19, at noon. Tickets are $11 per person, and are located in the reserved seating area behind home plate on the third base line. Space is limited, and ticket reservations are now being taken.
- Ken Freeman will be playing at Casey O'Conors in Mansfield at 7 p.m.
- Brockton Rox Baseball will be playing today at 1:05 p.m. Today's theme is Sunday Family Fun Day/Barn Babies.
- There will be Bingo at St. Mary's Church in Norton at 6:45 p.m.
- The Trinity Bar & Restaurant in Norton is hosting Karaoke from Karl Bock at 8 p.m. on Sunday. Come down and belt out your favorite tunes!
Relay for Life of Greater Foxboro’s Closing Ceremonies: Foxboro’s Relay for Life closing ceremonies will be held Saturday at Ahern Middle School at 10:30 a.m The American Cancer Society’s annual event gives people the opportunity to “celebrate those who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost and fight back against this heartbreaking disease.” For more information, click here.
Gold’s Gym Appreciation Day BBQ: Gold’s Gym in Foxborough will be holding a Membership Appreciation Day and Open House BBQ Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. The following will take place at the event:
- Jumpy House for kids
- Grilling and cookout
- Spin-a-Thon from 8:30-11:30 a.m. (Pre-registration)
- Free workouts
Weekend Sports: The Post 93 Foxborough American Legion baseball team will host Westwood at Foxborough High School Sunday at 1 p.m.
The Foxborough Youth baseball and softball weekend schedule is as follows:
- 6/7 Instructional: Dodgers @ Cubs, 9:30 a.m.
- 6/7 Instructional: Angels @ Padres, 11:30 a.m.
- 6/7 Instructional: Giants @ Orioles, 1:30 p.m.
- 6/7 Instructional: Phillies @ Red Sox, 1:30 p.m.
- 6/7 Instructional: Marlins @ A's, 3:30 p.m.