5 Things for Oct. 5: No Board of Health Flu Clinic this Year, Foxborough Football Travels to Stoughton and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: NWS calls for a sunny Friday, Board of Health announces it won't be holding a flu clinic this year, Foxborough football travels to Stoughton and more.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect the Rain to Continue into Thursday in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for Sunny, with a high near 77. West wind 3 to 7 mph. Friday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph.
2. Foxborough Woman Running as Member of Dana-Farber Team in Sunday’s B.A.A. Half Marathon
On Sunday, Oct. 7, Foxborough resident Amy Kwiatek will be running in the 12th annual B.A.A. Half Marathon® presented by Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund, as a member of the official Dana-Farber team.
Each of the nearly 500 Dana-Farber team members are committed to raising at least $500 to support adult and pediatric cancer care and research at Dana-Farber. Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund have partnered with the B.A.A. in the half marathon for 10 years. During this time, runners on the Dana-Farber team have raised more than $3 million to fuel lifesaving discoveries. To support a runner in the B.A.A. Half Marathon, go to www.RunDanaFarber.org/BAAHalf.
“Each year, our Dana-Farber runners take part in the B.A.A. Half Marathon not only for the personal, physical challenge, but because they know they are making a difference by raising crucial funds to support the global fight against cancer,” said Jack Fultz, Dana-Farber’s training advisor and 1976 Boston Marathon® men’s champion.
The 13.1-mile rolling course is an out-and-back loop that runs along the Emerald Necklace park system. It will begin and end in White Stadium in Boston’s Franklin Park. The event attracts a field of 7,000 runners, including world-class athletes.
The B.A.A. Half Marathon is one of three annual events that connect the Boston Athletic Association and Dana-Farber. The Boston Marathon® Jimmy Fund Walk is the only walk sanctioned to take place along the historic Boston Marathon® route and the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge (DFMC) includes a team of Dana-Farber runners who participate in the Boston Marathon® each April.
Dana-Farber’s B.A.A. Half Marathon team is one of many ways runners can support the lifesaving mission of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Participants can run on an official Dana-Farber team, or run in any race, of any distance, in any city, while raising funds for Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund.
For more information visit RunDanaFarber.org.
3. Foxborough Board of Health Won’t be Holding Flu Clinic This Year
The Board of Health will not be holding a flu clinic due to an extremely limited allotment of vaccine from the state, according to chairman Paul Steeves.
The good news is that you can readily obtain the flu vaccine from your Health Care Provider or by visiting many retail pharmacy or Health Clinics in the local area. By showing your insurance card, all of these Pharmacies and Retailers and Clinics will provide flu vaccines, many with NO co-payment due.
If you are uninsured or your insurance does not pay for vaccines, or if you cannot travel to a facility, call (508) 543-1207.
4. Warriors Game Day:
The following Foxborough High School teams will be in action Friday:
- Football travels to Stoughton for a Hockomock League Davenport Division game beginning at 6 p.m.
- Field hockey travels to Taunton for a 3:30 p.m. game.
- Girls’ volleyball travels to Franklin for a 4:45 p.m. match.
- Girls’ soccer travels to Taunton for a 3:30 p.m. match.
- Boys’ soccer hosts Taunton at 6:15 p.m.
For results and expanded schedules, check out Patch's Warriors Scoreboard here.
5. Patriot Place Events:
- "Fun" Raiser at Fanautical: 15 percent of all SAILS go to HESSCO ELDER SERVICES. Enjoy a fun night of shopping for the whole family, and for a great cause.
- 10:30 a.m. - Fall Fun - Stroll2BFit: Free Family fitness program brought to you by Brigham and Women’s / Mass General Healthcare Center.
- 4 p.m. - Fall Fun Event - Artist's Studio Fall Member Show: Visit the Artist’s Studio’s Fall show the weekends of Oct. 5 to 7 and Oct. 12 to 14. Over 120 pieces of art will be displayed representing 60 local artists from the Foxborough Art Association.
- 6 p.m. - 20,000 Leagues - Lights OUT: Are you brave enough to visit Captain Nemo’s abandoned submarine with nothing but a flashlight and your wits to guide you through its pitch black chambers?
- 7:30 p.m. - BoDeans performs at Showcase Live: The BoDeans are still rocking and harmonizing gracefully, touring the U.S. regularly and exposing the kids of their longtime steadfast fans to real, heartfelt and trend-free music.