5 Things for Oct. 24: Special Olympics Team with Patriots for 4th Annual Flag Football Event, Turf Field Warrant Article and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: Cloudy conditions expected in town with a high near 58. The Advisory Committee will discuss the Turf Field Warrant article. It will be senior night for girls' volleyball and more!
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. A Cloudy Wednesday Expected in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. North wind 3 to 6 mph. Wednesday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Calm wind.
2. Special Olympics Team with New England Patriots for Fourth Annual Flag Football Event
Special Olympics Massachusetts, a leader in providing healthy lifestyles for individuals with intellectual disabilities, has a winning partnership with the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation and it will be on display Sunday, Oct. 28 for the fourth annual flag football and cheerleading event at Gillette Stadium. The event made its debut in 2009 at Gillette Stadium. Each year the event has grown, as flag football and cheerleading participation continues to increase throughout Special Olympics Massachusetts.
Athletes and Unified Sports® partners from Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island will participate in five-on-five flag football games and cheerleading demonstrations. A number of New England Patriots alumni will be in attendance, handing out awards and supporting the Special Olympics athletes.
“We are glad to provide athletes with a popular sporting event that imparts the thrills of participating in flag football and cheerleading while also offering an exciting way to stay healthy,” said Robert Johnson, President and CEO of Special Olympics Massachusetts. “The New England Patriots inspire athletes as champions who represent success and celebration and the thrill of competing in Gillette Stadium is the opportunity of a lifetime for many. We are grateful for this chance and for the support of the New England Patriots.”
Due to the increased popularity of the event, this year’s competition will be spread over two venues taking place simultaneously on Oct. 28. Along with Gillette Stadium, half of the 46 teams will compete in the tournament at Franklin High School in Franklin.
“For the fourth year, we are glad to team with Special Olympics for this growing event,” said Andre Tippett, Patriots and Pro Football Hall of Famer and Patriots Executive Director of Community Affairs. “These games highlight the Kraft family and New England Patriots Charitable Foundation’s commitment to youth sports and character development of youth and their families. There is no better setting for this day of football than Gillette Stadium, and we are honored to host the state games again this year. We wish the athletes the best of luck and hope they know we are cheering for them.”
The annual Special Olympics Massachusetts Flag Football and Cheerleading event joins soccer, equestrian and senior sports as part of the organization’s annual Fall Tournament series, taking place throughout the months of October and November
The timeline for the event is as follows:
- 8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Team Registration
- 8:30 a.m. Coaches & Referee Meeting
- 9:00 a.m. Opening Ceremony
- 9:50 a.m. Competition Begins
- 1:30 p.m. Awards Ceremony Begins
- 4:00 p.m. Event Ends
Venue 1: Gillette Stadium
Venue 2: Franklin High School 218 Oak St., Franklin
3. Foxborough Advisory Committee to Discuss Turf Field Project
The Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. in the Andrew Gala Meeting Room of Town Hall to discuss the Turf Field project Special Town Meeting Warrant article.
4. Warriors Game Day:
The following Foxborough High School teams will be in action Wednesday:
- Girls’ volleyball hosts Sharon at 4:45 p.m. for senior night.
For results and expanded schedules, check out Patch's Warriors Scoreboard here.
5. Patriot Place Events:
- Bass Pro Shops - It's the Great Pumpkin: Join Bass Pro Shops for a safe and fun Halloween celebration! Enjoy free Trick or Treating, a free photo in the Peanuts Pumpkin Patch, Halloween crafts, prizes and more.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Gresh and Zo Patriots Ticket Giveaway at CBS Scene: Stop by CBS Scene for lunch every Wednesday during the LIVE Gresh and Zo broadcasts and enter to win a pair of tickets to a Patriots home game.
- 3 to 4 p.m. - Kidville Krafts: Join Kidville for free crafts and discounted playspace rates.
- 7 to 10 p.m. - Live Music at Tastings Wine Bar & Bistro: Welcome Ali Husain to Tastings' Music Series.