5 Things for Oct. 18: Dog Treats Being Recalled for Salmonella, Last Cruise Night, Gronk Speaks at Pats Hall and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: NWS calls for a sunny Thursday with a high near 61, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will speak at The Hall at Patriot Place and dog treats sold at Target are being recalled.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Sunny Thursday with a High of 61 in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for sunny, with a high near 61. Calm wind becoming southeast 5 to 8 mph in the morning. Thursday night: A chance of showers, mainly after 5 a.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. East wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
2. Two Dog Treats Sold at Target Are Being Recalled for Salmonella Contamination
Kasel Associated Industries is voluntarily recalling its Boots & Barkley Roasted American Pig Ears and Boots & Barkley American Variety Pack Dog Treats because of possible salmonella contamination.
Salmonella can sicken animals that eat these products and humans are at risk for salmonella poisoning from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the pet products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these symptoms after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.
Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has any of these signs, please contact your veterinarian…
The Roasted Pig Ears product comes in a clear plastic bag containing 12 pig ears marked with UPC bar code 647263899158. The Variety Pack product also comes in a clear plastic bag weighing 32oz and marked with UPC bar code 490830400086.
Kasel Industries is recalling lot number BESTBY 13SEP2014DEN for both products because this lot code tested positive for the Salmonella bacteria through analysis by the Colorado Department Of Agriculture.
No illnesses have been reported to date in animals or humans in connection with this product.
The recall was the result of a routine sampling by the Colorado Department Of Agriculture that revealed finished products contained the Salmonella bacteria. The company has ceased distribution of any lots that have possible contamination of the bacteria. No other products made by Kasel Associated Industries are included in the recall of the 12 count packages of Roasted Pig Ears and the 32oz Variety Pack Dog Treats.
Customers who have purchased the items can return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. For more information, contact Kasel Associated Industries at 800-218-4417 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
3. Selectmen Approve Warrant for State Election to be Held on Nov. 6
Foxborough’s Board of Selectmen approved at Tuesday’s meeting a warrant for the state election to be held on Nov. 6 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Ahern Middle School.
4. Warriors Game Day:
The following Foxborough High School teams will be in action Thursday:
- Foxborough boys’ golf players will be competing in the Individual Hockomock Tournament today.
For results and expanded schedules, check out Patch's Warriors Scoreboard here.
5. Patriot Place Events:
- 4:30 p.m. - Mass Cruisers Auto Club - Free Cruise Night: The Mass Cruisers Auto Club, Bass Pro Shops and Patriot Place want you to once again enjoy your evening of cruising nostalgia and fun. This is the final cruise night of the 2012 season.
- 6 to 8 p.m. - "Fun" Raiser at Fanautical: Join Fanautical for a fun-raiser – 15 percent of all “SAILS” go to GO TEAM 21. Plus, you get to meet Yeager the Team 21 service dog.
- 6:30 p.m. - Rob Gronkowski speaks at The Hall: The Hall at Patriot Place Presented by Raytheon’s popular Speaker Series continues on Thursday with Rob Gronkowski appearing in the Raytheon Theater.
- 9 p.m. - LEVEL ONE at CBS Scene: Stop by CBS Scene at 9 p.m. to dance the night away at Patriot Place’s nightclub. The club is 21-plus.
- 9:30 p.m. - Grand Central at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: Grand Central is a young country band influenced by traditional hard-driving country and also polished contemporary sounds. Grand Central has developed a powerful repertoire and a serious sound. The band’s electrifying live performances, which include a mix of current chart toppers and classics, strongly appeal to the fun loving, beer drinking country music fans here in the northeast.