5 Things for Dec. 20: Light a Candle for Newtown Victims, Caroling on the Common, School Concerts and More
Here's five things you need to know in Foxborough for today, Dec. 20.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Mostly Sunny Thursday in Foxborough with a High Near 40
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for mostly sunny, with a high near 40. Light and variable wind becoming north around 6 mph. Thursday night: Showers likely, mainly after 5 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Light east wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
2. Light a Candle for Newtown Victims at Roberts & Sons Funeral Home
In memory of the 26 victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn., Roberts & Sons Funeral Home is providing people the opportunity to light a candle in the memory of the 20 children and six adults tragically killed on Dec. 14.
“During this holiday season please keep all of these families in your thoughts and prayers,” the funeral home stated on its website.
Donations made in the memory of the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims can be sent to the following address:
Sandy Hook School Support Fund
c/o Newtown Savings Bank
39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470
3. Caroling on the Common with the Foxboro Jaycees
The Foxboro Jaycees will be holding its annual Caroling on the Common and are inviting all brass players in the community to join them. Band rehearsal is Thursday at 4:30 p.m. at Foxboro High School on South Street. The community is then invited to sing with the Jaycees beginning at 6 p.m. Hot chocolate, cookies, and music will be provided. Carolers will then walk over to the Doolittle Home at 6:45 p.m. and carol with the residents.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- 4 p.m. - Winter Wonder 2012 - Harvey the Train Conductor Storytelling: Join Harvey for an interactive storytelling adventure featuring a dramatic reading of The Polar Express.
- 9:30 p.m. - Shotgun Still performs at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: New England’s newest country cover band, Shotgun Still, is taking the party to the local country scene, playing country hits from artist Big & Rich, Tim McGraw, Toby Keith and many more.
5. Taylor and Igo School Concerts
The Igo Elementary School kindergarteners will perform a Holiday Concert from 10 to 10:30 a.m. The Taylor Elementary School kindergarteners will perform a Holiday Concert from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.