5 Things for Dec. 12: Help Prevent Fires this Holiday Season, Ahern Holiday Book Fair, Live Country Music and More
Here's five things you need to know in Foxborough for today, Dec. 12.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Sunny Wednesday with a High Near 38 in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a sunny, with a high near 38. Calm wind becoming northwest around 6 mph. Wednesday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 25. Calm wind.
2. Ahern PAC Holiday Book Fair at Walpole’s Barnes and Noble
Just in time for the Holidays - Support the Ahern PAC while you shop for the holidays. Stop by Barnes and Noble in Walpole Wednesday and tell your cashier you are shopping for the Ahern and the Ahern PAC will receive at least 10 percent of your purchase. The seventh grade band quartet will perform at Walpole’s Barnes and Noble at 6 p.m. If you can’t make it to Walpole you can shop Barnes and Noble online from Dec. 12-17. Be sure to use book-fair ID 10939684.
3. Help Prevent Fires this Holiday Season
As the holiday season moves into full swing, the American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts urges you to follow simple safety tips to keep the season merry and to prevent holiday fires.
Christmas Tree Care
- Purchase flame retardant metallic or artificial trees.
- If you purchase a real tree, make sure it has fresh, green needles that aren't easily broken.
- Keep live trees as moist as possible by giving them plenty of water.
- Use a sturdy tree stand designed not to tip over.
- Keep trees at least three feet away from heat sources, including fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
- Make sure light strings and other decorations for the tree are in good condition. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for their use.
- Don’t use anything with frayed electrical cords.
- Never drop or flick cigarette ashes near a tree.
- Never put tree branches or needles into a fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Don’t leave dried-out trees in a house or garage, or placed against the house or garage.
- Safely dispose of trees through recycling centers or community pick-up services as they become dry and needles begin to drop.
Holiday Lights and Decorations
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, broken or cracked sockets and excessive kinking or wear.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets by not linking more than three light strands.
- Use flame-resistant or flame-retardant decorations.
- Place decorations at least three feet away from fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving a room or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree.
- Keep candles at least three feet away from trees, evergreens, holiday decorations, and other items that can catch fire such as clothing, papers and curtains.
- Use candleholders that are study, won't tip over easily, are made from non-flammable materials, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Remember that even glass holders can shatter and explode from the heat of a candle flame.
- Place candles where they cannot be reached or easily knocked over by children and pets.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- Santa's Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops: Enjoy a free photo with Santa, games crafts and more at Santa’s Wonderland.
- Help the Foxborough Food Pantry at Old Navy: From now through Dec. 19 Old Navy will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit the Foxborough Food Pantry. Help those in need this holiday season and make a donation today.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Gresh and Zo Ticket Giveaway at CBS Scene: Stop by CBS Scene for lunch every Wednesday during the LIVE Gresh & Zo broadcasts and enter to win a pair of tickets to a Patriots home game.
- 9:30 p.m. - Country Mile performs at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This Ohio based band introduces a bit of rock edge to their tunes making it easy for listeners to enjoy and exciting live performance
5. Foxborough Board of Water and Sewer Commissioners
Foxborough Town Manager Kevin Paicos will meet with the Board of Water and Sewer Commissioners to discuss new sewer funding mechanisms. The meeting will be held at 5 p.m. in the Andrew Gala Meeting Room of Town Hall.