5 Things for Aug. 3: Help Military Families, PMC Rides, Tom Brady’s Birthday and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: Expect a chance of rain and thunderstorms but another humid day with temperatures around 92; Tom Brady turns 35; PMC rides through town this weekend and more …
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Scattered Showers and Thunderstorms Likely with a High Near 92
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 92. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Friday night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 10 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog after 1 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
2. Operation Homefront to Collect School Supplies for Military Children
Operation Homefront and its organizations and volunteers across the nation will begin collecting donated school supplies, along with monetary donations, that they will distribute to the children of service members at the beginning of the school year in the fall.
This year marks the sixth annual campaign by Operation Homefront to give the children of military families the opportunity to start school with all the supplies they need to be successful. Anyone interested in helping military kids can log on to OperationHomefront.net/backtoschoolbrigade or Facebook.com/OperationHomefront to learn more about how to volunteer or make a donation.
3. Pan-Mass Challenge Rides Through Foxborough this Weekend
Nine Foxborough residents will join approximately 5,500 cyclists from 36 states and eight countries to participate in the 33rd annual Pan-Massachusetts Challenge on Aug. 4-5. Foxborough is a finish line for some of the PMC routes and Foxborough Police say no roads will be closed as a result of the PMC ride. For more information, click here. Then on Sunday, Aug. 5, Patriot Place will be holding its first ever Kids PMC Ride around the complex. Click here for more information.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- Trader Joe's Still Accepting Applications: Despite receiving about 500 applications and inquiries in the first two days of hiring, Trader Joe's is still accepting employment applications. Click here for more information.
- Bass Pro Shops 2012 Fall Hunting Classic: Join Bass Pro Shops for hunting classes, big savings, trade-ins, ATV test drives and more during the 2012 Fall Hunting Classic.
- 2 p.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Revolution Soccer Clinic: Want to play like the pros? Then you have to practice like one too. Join the Revolution for this special Summer Sensation Revolution Soccer Clinic featuring drills and training with the Revolution Academy Coaches.
- 7 p.m. - The Cab and Parachute perform at Showcase Live: The Cab is an American rock band from Las Vegas feature in the ‘100 Bands You Need To Know in 2010’ by Alternative Press magazine and were one of the bands featured on the cover, along with Never Shout Never and Hey Monday.
- 9:30 p.m. - Walkin’ The Line at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: Walkin' The Line Band brings years of experience with some of the best bands around and opening for country legends like Charlie Daniels and Travis Tritt to name a few.
5. Tom Brady Turns 35 Today
He may be number 12 in your programs but for most New England Patriots fans he’s number one in their hearts and today, he’s turning 35 years old. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will be celebrating his birthday in grand style … at Patriots Training Camp. The practice runs 1:30 to 4 p.m. and is open to the public so you can head down Route 1 to the practice fields of Gillette Stadium and wish Tom a very happy (and healthy) 35th birthday.