5 Things for Aug. 2: Boxers Visit Gillette, Live Music, Cruise Night and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: Boxers Micky Ward and Danny O’Connor and Dropkick Murphys Frontman Ken Casey visit Gillette Stadium Thursday, Concert on the Common, car show at Patriot Place and more …
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Slight Chance of Showers and Thunderstorms with a High Near 87
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1 pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 87. West wind 3 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent. Thursday night: Patchy fog after 2 a.m. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 66. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
2. New England Revolution Host Micky Ward, Danny O’Connor and Dropkick Murphys Frontman Ken Casey at Gillette Stadium Thursday
New England Revolution players and coaches, Framingham boxer and Aug. 12 marquee headliner “Irish” Danny O’Connor, Dropkick Murphys frontman and O’Connor’s manager Ken Casey, and boxing legend/inspiration for 2010’s The Fighter, Micky Ward will be at Gillette Stadium Thursday for a preview of the facility’s first-ever boxing match. The event is part of the first ever soccer and boxing doubleheader in Foxborough and will take place on Aug. 12, beginning at 7 p.m. when the Revolution host the Montreal Impact. The first ever boxing match in Gillette will follow the MLS action. O’Connor will “spar” with the Revs and face shots he’s not as used to – ones on goal as he practices with his favorite team. O’Connor is a former two-time national amateur champion and was an alternate for the US Olympic Boxing Team in 2008.
3. Mass Cruisers’ Cruise Night at Patriot Place is Thursday
Due to a New England Patriots’ preseason game on Thursday, Aug. 9, Mass. Cruise Night at Patriot Place will be held today, beginning at 4:30 p.m., according to The Mass Cruisers Auto Club’s website. Click here for more information.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- 1:30 to 4 p.m. - Patriots Training Camp: For Patriots fans who want to get closer to the action or are looking for an inexpensive way to entertain the kids, Patriots Training Camp offers just the ticket.
- 3 p.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Anna's Talking Hands: Puppeteer Anna Sobel entertains children, engaging minds and imaginations as well as their sense of humor. This week’s performance is Little Superheroes. Raccoon and Benny Bunny are little superheroes in training.
- 3 to 6 p.m. - Farmers Market at Patriot Place: Attend the Patriot Place Farmers Market featuring the freshest and finest from local growers and purveyors across New England.
- 7 p.m. - Tastings Wine Bar & Bistro – VinOlympics: Tastings wines continue to compete in the VinOlympics featuring five wine varietals. Twenty wines from seven different countries will compete for the closing ceremony gold medal award. Cost is $10.
- 7 to 10 p.m. - Live Music at Tastings Wine Bar & Bistro: Join Tastings as its welcomes Ali Hussein to Tastings’ Music Series.
- 8 p.m. - Mark Wills at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This country music artist is a multi-platinum selling musician with top hits including “19 Something” and “Wish You Were Here.”
- 8 p.m. - John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band at Showcase Live: Theses guys qualify for inclusion in the Boston Rock & Roll Museum, if solely for the amount of sets they played, long before being famous.
5. See The Infractions Live Tonight on Foxboro Common
The Infractions, sponsored by Douglas A. King Builders, will be performing live on Foxboro Common tonight as part of the Foxboro Jaycees’ Summer Concert Series. The 10-week concert series will feature only two more performances after Thursday so be sure to grab a blanket, pack a picnic and head over to the Common with family and friends to enjoy the end of summer.