5 Things for Aug. 15: Chance of Thunderstorms, Road Work on Cocasset Street, Live Music and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: NWS says a chance of thunderstorms Wednesday, road work taking place on Cocasset Street, live music at Patriot Place and more …
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Chance of Showers and Thunderstorms Wednesday
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 9 a.m. Patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. South wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Wednesday night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 9 p.m., then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m., then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 a.m. Patchy fog after 11 p.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
2. Road Work on Cocasset Street Between Elm Street and I-95
Road work on Cocasset Street between Elm Street and I-95 began Monday as the Foxborough Highway Department begins reconstructing Cocasset Street between Elm Street and I-95. The initial work consisted of reclaiming or grinding of the old pavement and lasted one day. The road will be grooved, possibly for a two-week period, after which the road will be resurfaced.
Residents can leave or return to their houses if needed, except for periods when the equipment is operating directly in front of houses, where access into and from the driveway will not be possible. The Highway Department estimates these periods to last a half-hour during the excavation and grinding phase, and one hour and a half to two hours during the paving phase. The road will be opened to traffic at the end of each day after the day’s work is finished. The normal work day will be from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Highway Department asks drivers to plan ahead to avoid traffic delays.
3. Doolittle Home Seeks Volunteers
The Doolittle Retirement Home on Bird Street is looking for volunteers to come and spend time with the residents. Play a board game, sit and chat or play a song on the piano. If you have a little time to spare, visit the Doolittle Home. Scouting and other organizations are welcome to visit as a group. Contact Roz Champagne at The Doolittle Home, 16 Bird St. at (508) 543-2694.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- 11 a.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Face Painting: Visit Old Navy where the face painters will make you look cool.
- 1:30 to 4 p.m. - Patriots Training Camp: For Patriots fans who want to get closer to the action or are looking for an inexpensive way to entertain the kids, Patriots Training Camp offers just the ticket.
- 3 p.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Fun with Science: A selection of staff favorite activities designed to build on fundamental scientific principles to strengthen budding young scientists through experimentation.
- 3 to 4 p.m. - Kidville Krafts: Join Kidville for free summer crafts and discounted playspace rates.
- 6 to 8 p.m. - Skipjack's Beer Dinner: Love Cape Ann Brewing? Come to Skipjack’s four-course beer dinner on Wednesday, Aug. 15th. Only 40 spots available, so make reservations now by calling Skipjack's at (508) 543-2200 or e-mail Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost is $50 per person.
- 7 p.m. - Live Music at Tastings Wine Bar & Bistro: Tastings welcomes Matt Michienzie to Tastings' Music Series.
- 8 p.m. - Neal McCoy at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This Texan-native country musician has released 34 singles to country radio including the 2005 hit “Billy’s Got His Beer Goggles On.” He continues to work alongside artists such as Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert.
- 8 p.m. - Dickey Betts performs at Showcase Live: Dickey Betts is an American guitarist, singer, songwriter, and composer best known as a founding member of The Allman Brothers Band.
- 9:30 p.m. - Digger Dawg at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This band offers a high-energy show of the ultimate in country, rock and blues. Digger Dawg was honored with a tour overseas to the troops in 2008 in Kuwait and Iraq.
5. Spirit Communication with Maria Halvorsen
Maria Halvorsen will be holding an evening of spirit communication at The Reiki Room on Central Street.
Halvorsen is a spiritual medium and teacher with over 10 years experience. Accompanying Spirit, she delivers exceptional messages demonstrating that life is continuous. Her facts are specific and incredibly accurate. Her authenticity is established beyond expectation, as she brings forth evidential and undeniable information. Halvorsen hopes her understanding of and connection with Spirit will bring you to a place of peace and harmony.