5 Things for Aug. 14: Road Race and Triathlon Results, Fresh Start Program, Pats Practice and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: Expect a sunny Tuesday in town. We also recap two weekend road races with results from local runners and remind you about the Fresh Start Program.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Mostly Sunny Tuesday with a High Near 86
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for patchy fog before 7 a.m. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Southwest wind 3 to 8 mph. Tuesday night: A slight chance of showers after 2 a.m. Patchy fog after 5 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Southwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
2. Foxborough Resident Places 4th in 2012 Sharon Triathlon
Foxborough resident Dale Stephanos placed fourth in the 2012 Sharon Triathlon this past Sunday with a time of 1:13.25. Sunday’s course started with a 1/2 mile swim, a 12.3 mile bike ride which went through the towns of Easton, Mansfield, Focboro and Sharon, ending with a 4.4 mile run.
The men's top finishers were Worcester's Craig Mitchell in first lace, coming in at 1:12.31, Watertown's Jorge Martinez was second at 1:13.11 and East Weymouth's Les Gardner third Place at 1:13.17. There were 503 finishers in the race. For complete results of the race go to www.coolrunning.com/results/12/ma/Aug12_Sharon_set1.shtml
3. 12 Foxborough Residents Finish 2012 Falmouth Road Race Sunday
Foxborough had 12 of its residents representing the town in the 2012 Falmouth Road Race – a seven-mile run on the Cape Sunday. Two residents finished the race under an hour – Timothy O’Toole placed 1,173 with a time of 55:10 and James McVeigh 1,862 with a time of 58:20. The top female finisher from Foxborough was Jennifer Krupski, finishing in 2,378th place with a time of 1:00:15. Click here for a look at all the results from Foxborough runners.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- 11 a.m. - Storytime at Showcase Cinema de Lux: Meet Dora the Explorer at Kids Club Storytime Tuesday.
- Noon - Summer Sensation 2012 - Bounce Houses: Jump around all afternoon in inflatable bounce houses. Located in the North Marketplace outside of Tastings Wine Bar and Bistro, enjoy great views of Gillette Stadium as the kids bounce the day away.
- 1:30 to 4 p.m. - Patriots Training Camp: For Patriots fans who want to get closer to the action or are looking for an inexpensive way to entertain the kids, Patriots Training Camp offers just the ticket.
- 6 p.m. - Davio's Food & Wine Dinner Series: Join Davio’s for a five-course wine dinner in an intimate event with Winemaker Marco DiGiulio from Girard Winery.
- 6:30 p.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Adventure Boot Camp: Join Shannon Barbato for a free Adventure Boot Camp. It is the ultimate outdoor fitness program that offers open-air fitness instruction.
5. Donations Can be Made to the Fresh Start Program Until Friday
Each year, the Foxboro Discretionary Fund sends local children-in-need back to school with a new school bag and supplies to get the year started off right. This summer, the Foxborough community has been donating the following items to the fund:
- New backpacks and tote-bags (for boys and girls ages 5-18)
- New school supplies (pencils, pens, markers, crayons, notebooks, one-inch binders, filler paper, highlighters, erasers, filler paper)
Those items are still being collected until Friday, Aug. 17 and can be dropped off at any of the following locations:
- The front lobby of the Foxboro YMCA (in bin labeled “backpacks”)
- 2 Lewis Rd., Foxboro (the McCormacks’ house)
- 3 Tucker Ln., Foxboro (the Pothiers’ house)
- 36 Hill St., Foxboro (the Amicos’ house)
- 2 Morningside Ln., Foxboro (the Rogers’s house - Front Porch)