5 Things for Aug. 1: New Trash Vendor, In-Stadium Pats Practice, Petting Zoo and More
Here's five things you need to know today in Foxborough: Wednesday’s forecast calls for a chance of rain and thunderstorms, Patriots hold annual practice inside Gillette Stadium for season ticketholders and residents, taxes are due in town today and more
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Chance of Showers and Thunderstorms Wednesday with a High Near 83
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 83. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Wednesday night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 10 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog after 2 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
2. New Trash Vendor Officially Starts in Foxborough
The town’s change in trash vendors takes effect today with Russell Disposal becoming Foxborough’s trash vendor. For more information on the change, click here.
3. Barn Babies Petting Zoo to be Held at the Courtyard of the Chestnut Green Library:
The Barn Babies petting zoo, sponsored by the Friends of the Boyden Library will come to the Courtyard at the Chestnut Green Library on Wednesday, Aug. 1. Those attending are expected to meet at the library entrance. The sessions are 3:30-4 p.m. and 4-4:30 p.m. You must have pre-registered for the event. Barn Babies will bring a goat, a pot bellied pig, bunnies, chicks, puppies, and kittens.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- 6:30 to 9 p.m. – Patriots Practice Inside Gillette Stadium for Foxborough Residents: For the sixth consecutive season, the New England Patriots will be holding an open practice on the Gillette Stadium field for season ticketholders and Foxborough residents. The event is free but requires a complimentary ticket for entry. Those tickets, like in years past, can be picked up with proof of residency at Foxborough’s Town Hall, the senior center or the Foxborough Public Safety Building. Gates open at 6 p.m.
- 10 a.m. - Showcase Cinema de Lux Bookworm Wednesdays: Join Showcase Cinemas for Bookworm Wednesdays, its summer literacy program. Each Wednesday until Aug. 8, children who present a book report will receive free admission to a special film at 10 a.m.
- 11 a.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Face Painting: Visit Old Navy where the face painters will make you look cool.
- 3 p.m. - Summer Sensation 2012 - Fun with Science: A selection of staff favorite activities designed to build on fundamental scientific principles to strengthen budding young scientists through experimentation.
- 3 to 4 p.m. - Kidville Krafts: Join Kidville for free summer crafts and discounted playspace rates.
- 7 to 10 p.m. - Live Music at Tastings Wine Bar & Bistro: Join Tastings as Sara Thompson is welcomed back to Tastings' Music Series.
- 9:30 p.m. - Digger Dawg at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill: This band offers a high-energy show of the ultimate in country, rock and blues. Digger Dawg was honored with a tour overseas to the troops in 2008 in Kuwait and Iraq.
5. News from Town Hall
- Richard Gelerman officially takes over as Foxborough’s Town Counsel today, replacing Paul DeRenis of Deutsch Williams. Click here to read more.
- First quarter property taxes are due in Foxborough today.