5 Things: Davin Family Benefit Reminder, Ahern Band Concert, Hunakai Workshop & More
Here's five things you need to know in Foxborough for today, Jan. 10.
Editor's note: Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. If you know of something happening in town that did not make our list, please add it in the comment section!
1. Expect a Sunny Thursday with a High Near 45 in Foxborough
Today’s weather in Foxborough, according to the National Weather Service based in Taunton, calls for sunny, with a high near 45. Northwest wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Thursday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 22. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
2. Reminder that Benefit for James Davin’s Family will be Held in Foxborough Friday
Generosity for Jim, A Benefit for the Davin Family will take place on Friday at Demetri’s on Route 1 from 7 p.m. to midnight. Tickets for admission are $20 each and can be purchased at the Hockomock YMCA in Foxborough, where Nicky Davin works. A limited number of Special Edition Cash Wheel tickets are also available for $100 each.
In true Foxborough philanthropic fashion, local favorite Thirty6Red and North Street DJ Steve Johnene will donate their musical talents so that guests can shake off the winter blues on the dance floor. The evening also entails a cash bar and simplified fundraising including a Cash Wheel elimination raffle with a $10,000 prize, a Wine Wall, a Scratch Ticket Raffle and a 50/50 Drawing.
Based on the number of local families that pitched in over the past year and the recent outpouring of support at Jim’s services - a large, lively crowd is anticipated.
In fact, the event is being promoted as a cabin fever escape or the perfect excuse to reunite with old friends.
“We want to honor Jim in a way that he would relate to,” Stonehill College friend and Foxborough resident PJ O’Toole said. “Our guiding philosophy has been to create a fun, less-is-more approach for this event. Jim was a casual, laid back guy, who loved a good time and enjoyed the company of friends and family. On January 11th, we will celebrate community, toast our friend, say thanks to his many supporters and again show his wife Nicky and his family how much Jim meant to all of us."
To donate wine or scratch tickets for the Generosity for Jim fundraising efforts or to make a cash donation – please call (617) 678-2025.
Jim Davin passed away on Oct. 20, 2012 at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston after a courageous battle with cancer. He had been a Foxborough resident for the past 15 years and served as General Counsel for the Suffolk County Sherriff’s Department.
For more information, click here.
3. Ahern Middle School Band Concert
Ahern Middle School’s seventh grade band will perform in the auditorium at 7 p.m.
4. Patriot Place Events:
- Win Playoff Tickets at Tavolino: Tavolino will raffle off two Patriots playoff tickets, exclusive reservations at Tavolino, and a $50 gift card. Join Tavolino for lunch or dinner between now and Jan. 11th to enter to win.
- Lucky Lunch at CBS Scene - You could win playoff tickets: Join CBS Scene weekdays for lunch now through Friday, Jan. 11th between open and 4 p.m. and enter to win a pair of tickets to the Jan. 13th game including a $100 CBS Scene gift card and exclusive reservations on game day.
- 6 p.m. - Fun and Games with 5Wits: Join 5Wits for a night of fun and games. Try some of 5Wits favorite board and card games and have a chance to take them home for a steal.
5. Live Model Workshop at Hunakai Studio
Hunakai Studio is offering a special eight-week workshop Thursday through Feb. 27 in human life studies taught by Steven Gaul with live models for high school juniors, seniors and/or interested adults. This is an essential workshop for portfolio building or to further art skills. Register online at hunakaistudio.org or call (508) 543-5665 for more information.